Grayscale Mode K text on white or on a fill not the same thickness. Versant engine

DYP

This rears its ugly head every now and then. Had a customer complain about it today again. I see it in grayscale mode a lot but this job was color but with black only elements set to CMYK gray prints a black only. Rows of description and pricing alternating between 20% and 0% fill. Black text looks like it is bold on the 20% fill and regular on the 0% fill. With CMYK gray prints a black only turned off it does not do this. Raster view in ImageViewer does not show any difference, so it is something with the engine. I can find some settings like setting Text/graphics quality to normal or different screens will make it less noticeable but nothing RIP setting wise seems to totally eliminates it.. Or course if you use 1% fill in the white row the text looks the same other than the optical illusion you get which I can confirm looking at it through a loupe. It is almost like because of this optical illusion someone decided to program the print engine to choke the text on fills but made a mistake and spread it instead. And by the way Trapping on or off makes no difference. APPE on or off makes no difference.

Maybe I am overlooking a setting that is causing this? has anyone figured settings that will not cause this to happen?

I had time today and took this issue to second level. It will be interesting what they come back with. I also have my tech looking into this. Engine setting, NVM setting somewhere maybe?

Do you get the same results if you rasterize the PDFs first (ie, convert to TIFs, then PDF and convert the TIFs)?

Interesting that the rasterized pdfs do not show that. But rasterizing multiple page PDFs is not practically. But why is it doing this with vector elements in PDF files?

DYP I think I know what your talking about but not 100% sure. I had a similar problem on another machine we used to have.

If you find a file that you would be able to post, do that. If you are able to state the affected type you are seeing these effects. I just want to check it out and see what is going on with the file to see if I can see anything.

BTW do you have Pitstop?

And am I correct that you are taking a PDF file and dropping it into the HOLD queue, setting the Color Mode to Greyscale and the output shows these results you are referring to?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back