Konica Minolta controller

Davejh

Newbie here so be gentle.

I have a KM C3070 with internal IC-605 controller. I'm trying to find out if I can export a softproof - exactly like the Fiery command workstation could do. Of course the salesman said the KM can do everything the Fiery could do.
I've asked my dealers/engineers who seem to think it is not possible. This beggars belief, in my mind, for a DFE not to be able to offer this function?

So come on all you KM employees - help me out!

Dave

ps the IQ501 is fantastic!

Hi and thank you for purchasing the C3070
With the IC 605 controller see the following link for help manuals. You can export a job.
http://kmbsmanuals.konicaminolta.us/AccurioPressC3080/contents/APM_103858656.html?k=job centro

This is performed via AccurioPro Print Manager

http://kmbsmanuals.konicaminolta.us/AccurioPressC3080/contents/APM_103858639.html

When you received the machine it shipped with various CD's. One of them should have the Print Manager utility. If you need an assist to install contact your local support.
A KMBS Production Print employee from across the water

Of course the salesman said the KM can do everything the Fiery could do.

I would add that the KM controller can do what the Fiery can do if you have add-ons, just like you would with Fiery. Out of the box, they both have the same essentials for programming jobs, basic imposition, job queuing, etc. But when you want more advanced features, you have to pay for them just like you would with Fiery. For example, the Fiery typically doesn't do advanced imposition such as gutters, adding marks, bleeds, etc out of the box...you need to purchase an impose/compose license. KM has their own version of impose/compose called AccurioPro Flux which can do even more that impose/compose such as dutch cuts. Same for exporting a soft proof. This is only possible on the Fiery with the ImageViewer that comes with the Graphics Arts Package Premium Edition. If your previous Fiery did come with these out of the box, it was just part of the package and you paid for it whether you realized it or not.

finally had an answer from my press supplier - relating the info supplied by jwheeler and their response was it can't be done! I find this rediculous to be honest, am I getting led down the garden path?

Davejh, as I mentioned, the KM controller out of the box will not produce soft proofs, just like the Fiery controller will not. With Fiery, you have to add "Image Viewer". With KM, they offer the Color Care which could produce soft proofs. It states it here in the brochure on page 3 in the workflow diagram at the bottom of the page (they call it "Simulate Print"). They also have a product called Color Care Production Server which states that it can produce soft proofs as seen on page 3 under "Quality Assurance" in the brochure here.

A few notes: I used to work for Konica Minolta selling production gear and software. It's possible this software is no longer available or under a different name. I did see a new software called AccurioPro Cloud Eye Color Management. Not sure if this can produce soft proofs or not, but a quick read through some documentation shows that it has paper simulation capabilities for proofs.

Prior to working for Konica Minolta, I worked in both pre-press and graphic design for roughly 15 years for small and large printing companies. We never used a special software for 'soft proofs'. We just emailed password protected PDF's with a disclaimer that the proof was for content/placement, and not color as we could not guarantee the calibration of a monitor outside of our facility. Acrobat Pro actually has an "Output Preview Mode" in which you can toggle on "simulate paper color" to give a sort of soft-proof. But again, I never wanted to rely on someone's monitor for color.

Last edited:
thanks again for the input.

I don't need it for approval of colour, just content. Case in point, a logo dropped off a job recently (after ripping) but was there on the pdf. I did use the Imageviewer on the Fiery in a previous company and it worked well, and gave confidence that it was going to print exactly as viewed as no other process was needed after approval.

Most of our work is pdf supplied, so sending the pdf back to the customer, without ripping, seems pointless.

In this digital world I would have thought most companies would want that ability, but I bow to your experience as it is obviously not.

Davejh, logos dropping off are usually due to a postscript error...typically due to transparency. This is a problem that plagues all RIPs on all brands of digital presses at one point or another. Sometimes an object will just disappear, sometimes you get a faded box around an object, and so on.

One new feature in both the Fiery and KM controller is called APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine) which you need to toggle on/off. This will help fix ~90% of the issues. I believe there was a cost to add this feature to the KM controller.

Also, it sounds like the soft proof is for you to view rather than send to your customers. In this case, you can do a “process and hold” under the output method which will then produce a preview for you to see at the machine screen and even through the browser based queue at your own screen. Alternatively, you should always produce one proof print before starting the whole run to look over everything...much better and more reliable than a soft proof. And since you have the IQ-501, if you have the latest firmware update, it can now “read” your first proof sheet and make sure all subsequent sheets look exactly the same beyond just color and position. It will check for stray marks, void areas, scratches, etc. Your PSC (production solutions consultant who did your training) or tech should be able to train you on this.

And to be fair to your point, I will say that probably 90% of the machines I sold were with a Fiery controller, so it’s possible that many were using the ImageViewer and it just wasn’t a point of discussion. However, many opted for the smaller internal fiery and I don’t think that has ImageViewer by default. The only times I sold a KM controller was when they had a really tight budget or it was for more of an office environment which had mixed levels of users...usually 1 or 2 graphics people and the rest were just office staff and a Fiery was too intimidating for them.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back