Stochastic Printing

jkl67

When using toner based, production level digital print equipment, is it true that the type of front end you use more or less determines the viability of producing stochastic print work? I read something from 10 years back that stated as long as you are using a Fiery front end you can do stochastic work at some level. I've seen more recent info that says certain types of Ricoh work flow software allows it and that all Xerox color equipment (production level) is capable of it. Does anyone have any guidance on this subject?

There are two main issues to contend with if you want to do stochastic screening (or any high lpi AM screening) on such a device. First, does the hardware support it? High lpi screening not only resolves finer detail but it can also reveal device imaging issues that are masked by low resolution AM/FM screening. Secondly, does the front end have stochastic screening available (either in the RIP or a stand alone screening box). If so, is the screening generic or optimized specifically for the target output device.

We have a Konica Minolta and the Fiery RIP does allow you to choose Stochastic under the "Image" tab then under "Image Halftone Screen". However, I don't know why you would want to choose that method. I've messed around with it before, and as gordo says, it may make some areas look better, but others will be worse. We always keep to the default "Dot 1" and our product comes out great.

and as gordo says, it may make some areas look better, but others will be worse.

For the sake of clarity, that's not quite what I said/meant.
Stochastic itself may not make some areas look better and others worse. Instead, like all high frequency/resolution screening, it may reveal already existing image and/or imaging issues that low frequency screens don't resolve. i.e. the issues are already there - they are not made/created by the screening.

For the sake of clarity, that's not quite what I said/meant.
Stochastic itself may not make some areas look better and others worse. Instead, like all high frequency/resolution screening, it may reveal already existing image and/or imaging issues that low frequency screens don't resolve. i.e. the issues are already there - they are not made/created by the screening.

Noted

There are two main issues to contend with if you want to do stochastic screening (or any high lpi AM screening) on such a device. First, does the hardware support it? High lpi screening not only resolves finer detail but it can also reveal device imaging issues that are masked by low resolution AM/FM screening. Secondly, does the front end have stochastic screening available (either in the RIP or a stand alone screening box). If so, is the screening generic or optimized specifically for the target output device.

Thank you for this great answer. You have me already down the path of looking at the front end options. Very appreciated!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back