Streaky prints from Konica C3070. Any ideas on a fix?

gazfocus

Less than a year ago I purchased a brand new Konica C3070 direct from Konica UK. It came with a service agreement.

Contacted them today to arrange a service call to be told they had cancelled my service agreement but could not tell me why.

While I try and resolve that, it looks like I need to fix this fault myself.

The printer is printing a thick black margin down the edge of every sheet I print. It’s right at the edge, with no white space between it and the edge of the paper.

The printer has had also started to streak when printing solid blocks of colour. We had the engineer out for this previously and he cleaned a wire but I don’t know where it is to clean it.

Can anyone help?

That's weird. One would expect cancellation of the contract to be required to be communicated officially in writing, no?

The streaking could be coming from dirty coronas. Cleaning or changing them might help. Not sure about the black on the edge though. I hope you get your tech service worked out. We love our support team here in the Twin Cities.

That's weird. One would expect cancellation of the contract to be required to be communicated officially in writing, no?

I used to work for KM (in the US) and the only time a service contract was cancelled without notice was when someone stopped paying their service bill...and even then, there was usually a notice in the next bill. I don't know if this is what happened for you gazfocus ....many times the operators didn't realize their accounting department wasn't paying a bill and they suffer the consequences. It's also possible it was just a glitch in the system and a simple phone call to them might fix it.

Another thing that could lead to this is if you bought from a KM dealer, and not KM directly. Dealerships undergo new ownership, management changes, or even switch the brands that they carry. The service would eventually switch over to another dealer or to KM direct, but there could be a transition period.

The only other time a service contract was ended was because a machine reached well beyond end of life. This happens with any manufacturer (Xerox, Canon, Ricoh, KM). At some point they stop making parts and supplies and send out notices that the model will no longer be supported in X number of months. You can typically go on a time and materials contract, but they can't guarantee they will have parts. This is clearly not the case for you as the C3070 is a current model.

I used to work for KM (in the US) and the only time a service contract was cancelled without notice was when someone stopped paying their service bill...and even then, there was usually a notice in the next bill. I don't know if this is what happened for you gazfocus ....many times the operators didn't realize their accounting department wasn't paying a bill and they suffer the consequences. It's also possible it was just a glitch in the system and a simple phone call to them might fix it.

Another thing that could lead to this is if you bought from a KM dealer, and not KM directly. Dealerships undergo new ownership, management changes, or even switch the brands that they carry. The service would eventually switch over to another dealer or to KM direct, but there could be a transition period.

The only other time a service contract was ended was because a machine reached well beyond end of life. This happens with any manufacturer (Xerox, Canon, Ricoh, KM). At some point they stop making parts and supplies and send out notices that the model will no longer be supported in X number of months. You can typically go on a time and materials contract, but they can't guarantee they will have parts. This is clearly not the case for you as the C3070 is a current model.

None of those apply unfortunately. I pay our invoices and we have nothing outstanding with Konica Minolta. The Konica was purchased direct from Konica UK, and the machine has only done 15,000 prints since new so it’s definitely not EOL.
AC Prepress any idea where the coronas are on the c3070?

I am still waiting for a response from Konica UK and in the meantime will be going through my agreement terms with a fine tooth comb.

Just to update the thread, finally got my machine back in contract and had a Konica engineer out.

The fault was caused by a failed black dev unit (printer has done less than 40k pages). The failed dev unit had caused all sorts of faults. The fix involved 4 new dev units, 4 new coronas, various other parts and a complete clean of the internals. Took the engineer almost a full day to fix.

Just to update the thread, finally got my machine back in contract and had a Konica engineer out.

The fault was caused by a failed black dev unit (printer has done less than 40k pages). The failed dev unit had caused all sorts of faults. The fix involved 4 new dev units, 4 new coronas, various other parts and a complete clean of the internals. Took the engineer almost a full day to fix.

Good to hear! Sounds like you should be all set now. What ended up being the reason for dropping off the service contract?

Good to hear! Sounds like you should be all set now. What ended up being the reason for dropping off the service contract?

Apparently they’ve been restructuring things and have moved certain things overseas. Seems like I’m not the only one but got there in the end :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back