Konica c3080 vs Ricoh 7200sl

Hi All,

I am in limbo with choosing between the Konica c3080 vs Ricoh 7200sl. Both companies are telling me how the other is the worst so I figured I'd reach out to some neutral people to get honest opinions. They are sending me conflicting information and it's confusing me. Anyone have feedback on either of the two printers?

We looked at both machines last year and found the quality and service in our area to be similarly excellent, but we were very impressed with Konica's IQ unit. Ultimately the decision came down to price and Konica was able to offer us a much better deal than Ricoh.

Dealing with copier sales IMO is as bad as used car salesmen. They all just bash the competition and promise their own machine will do magical things and then let service worry about it once the machine is dropped off.
We had a Xerox rep for a while that was trying to get us to replace a KM. He couldn't say enough bad stuff about the KM machine and how much better Xerox machines were. 3 Months later he was working for Konica selling the stuff he told us was garbage. Take EVERYTHING sales tells you with skepticism - The biggest factor for us is how the service department is in the area.

Both are great units and as others have said, the local presence and availability of service is going to be the most important thing to consider. Ask if they have a guaranteed or targeted response time (ie - on site in 4 hours or less). Is either one including their version of the operator replaceable units so you can replace the most common parts on your own instead of waiting for service?

Looking at the specs side-by-side the Ricoh is a more productive unit. The KM C3080 is 80ppm, maxes at 350gsm, and slows to about 60% speed around 220gsm. the Ricoh 7200sl is 85ppm, maxes at 360gsm, and maintains full speed for all weights.

Both offer vacuum feed. Both offer banner and envelope printing options Do you have special finishing needs to consider?

If the slight upgrade in productivity on the Rioch isn't a big differentiator for you, then it will most likely come down to who offers the best local support, who can offer the price on the machine, and who offers the most competitive service contract. Make sure they are both offering single click, and try to negotiate a locked rate for as long as possible.

They have definitely done a ton of bashing. I don't want to hear it anymore!

Dealing with copier sales IMO is as bad as used car salesmen. They all just bash the competition and promise their own machine will do magical things and then let service worry about it once the machine is dropped off.
We had a Xerox rep for a while that was trying to get us to replace a KM. He couldn't say enough bad stuff about the KM machine and how much better Xerox machines were. 3 Months later he was working for Konica selling the stuff he told us was garbage. Take EVERYTHING sales tells you with skepticism - The biggest factor for us is how the service department is in the area.

Ricoh says they have a 2 hour response time, i have not asked them if it was guaranteed. I currently have a konica machine and sometimes they can get to me and sometimes I have to wait a day or two. When It's down, they do try to get to me asap, but there have been times where I had to wait. Ricoh seems to be the only one that gives replacement parts. Konica does not. Both are willing to lock in the click rate.

It seems that they are both good printers. I think at this point they are running neck and neck. Ricoh has the edge on speed and it looks like Konica may have the edge on Registration. But Ricoh does have new technology for registration also. This is a tough call.

Both are great units and as others have said, the local presence and availability of service is going to be the most important thing to consider. Ask if they have a guaranteed or targeted response time (ie - on site in 4 hours or less). Is either one including their version of the operator replaceable units so you can replace the most common parts on your own instead of waiting for service?

Looking at the specs side-by-side the Ricoh is a more productive unit. The KM C3080 is 80ppm, maxes at 350gsm, and slows to about 60% speed around 220gsm. the Ricoh 7200sl is 85ppm, maxes at 360gsm, and maintains full speed for all weights.

Both offer vacuum feed. Both offer banner and envelope printing options Do you have special finishing needs to consider?

If the slight upgrade in productivity on the Rioch isn't a big differentiator for you, then it will most likely come down to who offers the best local support, who can offer the price on the machine, and who offers the most competitive service contract. Make sure they are both offering single click, and try to negotiate a locked rate for as long as possible.

Ricoh seems to be the only one that gives replacement parts. Konica does not.

Konica does have this...they call it ORU (Operator replaceable units). They don't really advertise it much, probably because it's an added cost. They supply you an extra fuser, drums, etc along with providing a full day of training with a tech who shows you what/why to replace, how to replace it. We have it here at our shop.

The registration is really good on the Konica Minolta...even without the new IQ Unit. The benefit of the IQ is that you don't have to manually adjust the position when loading a new paper. If you don't have the IQ, you simply print out a sheet, figure out the measurements to adjust, input the measurements, and it keeps it locked in really consistently. I think Ricoh does something similar.

As for the response time, ask them for 3-5 referrals in the area and call them and ask if they really honor the 2 hours. If so, that would be a big advantage!

We have a c3070....so nearly the same. Can't comment on the Ricoh, but another vote for the IQ unit. It's absolutely cock on. You find out how good it is when finishing booklets with image over spreads.

I have had a Ricoh 7110 for the past 4 years, my question to both of them would be: How many properly trained techs are you guaranteeing me in my area?

That is my issue, we only have 1. When we bought the machine we were told by the local service manager they would have several techs in the area but that has not proved true. When our tech is on vacation or at training we have to wait for a tech to come from 3 hours away and we have had issues getting service during that time.

Have you been able to make a decision yet and would you be so kind to give us an insight on your keypoints?

Hi, so based on my research both printers are pretty solid. Everyone who owns one or the other loves their machine. Ricoh wins on speed. Konica wins with the iq registration. I stayed with konica based on the relationship and that they matched everything Ricoh offered. I will say that out the gate, Ricoh made the best offer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back