Command Workstation: Saving Tab Settings in Compose

jwheeler

We are an inplant and we run 100's of different training manuals that can range from 200 to 1,000 pages. Each manual needs between 5 and 30 divider tabs with text printed only on the ear of the tab. We typeset/place the tabs using Compose in Command Workstation. Is there a way to save the settings of the tabs for future use? Not just the media settings, but the page placement and text on each tab? We often get revised manuals sent to us, but the tabs remain the same and it would be helpful to just pull up the settings rather than re-doing them every time.

Can't you just save to archive in Command Workstation? I do not have anything as big as what you are doing but I do have to print some tabs now and then on their own. I saved a file I made for tabs and when I need it I just go to the archived file, adjust if needed and everything else is set.

Can't you just save to archive in Command Workstation? I do not have anything as big as what you are doing but I do have to print some tabs now and then on their own. I saved a file I made for tabs and when I need it I just go to the archived file, adjust if needed and everything else is set.

No, unfortunately Archive doesn't work for this. That saves the whole file and the settings. We just want to save the tab settings/text/placement. This way we can apply to the new version they send us. Archive only helps if we need to do an exact re-print, which we do that as well. Also, the tabs are printed at the same time as the manual, not separately.

No, unfortunately Archive doesn't work for this. That saves the whole file and the settings. We just want to save the tab settings/text/placement. This way we can apply to the new version they send us. Archive only helps if we need to do an exact re-print, which we do that as well. Also, the tabs are printed at the same time as the manual, not separately.

What I have done for this is put a blank PDF, 8.5 x 11 in CWS. I then use that as a slip sheet and set each tab to go after page 1. This allows me to print just tabs and archive them as well.

You can save the the preset which will not save the file you have printed but all the settings. I had a job that had a few different manuals, all the same size and page and they wanted sections of it printed on different colour stock. I saved the preset in CWS and just applied it to the new file. Not sure if this will keep tab info or not, but would be worth checking out. The "presets" option is the top right corner of the job properties window.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back