Xerox Versant 80 - How to achieve good solids on a 640mm Long Sheet

sidneykidney

When I feed a long sheet (640mmx320mm) through the bypass Tray 5 on my Xerox Versant 80, the Xerox only allows me to print at a maximum paper weight of 177-220gsm but my sheet weight is 300gsm Uncoated. My problem is, I'm trying to slow the Xerox down by feeding at a slow speed on cast coated paper but it makes no difference. The solid red on my sheets comes out with a very bad mottle and loot magenta!!!! Anyone got any Ideas!!! (Picture attached shows a sample printout on 160gsm Uncoated paper on the right which is what I'm trying to achieve and 300gsm on the left which is what I'm currently getting)

red pic.jpg

Thanks for the tip PricelineNegotiator.

Problem solved!!!...it was the paper, which seems a bit strange because I've run this job 3 times before without any problems.

I was using a 300gsm Inspira Ucoated and decided to try something a bit smoother. It came out perfect straight away. I confirmed this by sneaking in a sheet of Inspira in the middle of the print job and it came out mottled. The moment it fed the smoother sheet, it was perfect again!!!!

Different sheets will need different transfer voltages, especially the heavier weights.

Yes and heat and humidity will change that as well. I am running some 13 x 26 sheet right now that the transfer voltage needed to be upped 20 point from where it was last time I printed the same sheet. And often times when changing the 2nd BTR the transfer voltage will need to be adjusted.

Create a stock for it and run the images transfer on a 11x17 of that stock at 220 gsm uncoated.
Then create your 26" stock and assign the same uncoated 220 and those image transfer numbers.
Voila!

Create a stock for it and run the images transfer on a 11x17 of that stock at 220 gsm uncoated.
Then create your 26" stock and assign the same uncoated 220 and those image transfer numbers.
Voila!

I would be careful about doing it that way. The engine runs different with 26" stock so test that setting before you print. A good way to test for correct transfer voltage is to create a 100% Cyan and 100% Magenta document and print with color management turned off. Not sure on the 180 if you have the clean toner dialog, if you do you can print 100% C and M from there. If it is motley looking you voltage is to low if it is to high you will get white spots.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back