Ricoh 7200 Wrinkles...

kdw75

After running around 18,000 books on 70# gloss text without issue, we started seeing wrinkled pages like the photo attached. Does anyone have any tips for fixing this? It is happening in the main unit and appears to be happening when it's duplexed.

Attachments

• photo8920.jpg
    photo8920.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 247
After running around 18,000 books on 70# gloss text without issue, we started seeing wrinkled pages like the photo attached. Does anyone have any tips for fixing this? It is happening in the main unit and appears to be happening when it's duplexed.

I run a ProC9100 but I believe they are similar enough that I can take a guess at this. I'd say it's the pressure roller in the fuser. If you have a spare fuser swap it and see if that helps. Also you could open a guard door while it's running and then see exactly where the wrinkle is happening. Good luck and let us know what fixes this.

The image is being fused properly and it doesn't seem to happen when I simplex print. I am thinking it is happening someplace after fusing the second side since the image is perfect.

I will swap the fuser and see what happens.

Last edited:
The image is being fused properly and it doesn't seem to happen when I simplex print. I am thinking it is happening someplace after fusing the second side since the image is perfect.

Interesting. I see you are located in the mid west. Depending on how much climate control you have for your machine, if it's gotten a lot colder and dryer (it has here in Pennsylvania) maybe that's having an effect? I haven't started to run my humidifier yet but I'm going to have to get it going soon.

No dice on the fuser. Swapped them and still have the wrinkles.

I was thinking it might be environmental, but in the past two weeks since this started it has been between 85 and down to 38 degrees. I can move this over to our Xerox and it runs like a champ. Currently we are at 70 deg. and 44% humidity where the machines and paper are.

Last edited:
No dice on the fuser. Swapped them and still have the wrinkles.

That's not good. You should probably reach out to your tech and open a case. I'm looking forward to hearing what fixes this for you, good luck.

I am waiting to hear back from the service manager. The tech we have is fairly new and he was baffled by it. Tried adjusting temperature and motor speed, but it had no effect.

I am waiting to hear back from the service manager. The tech we have is fairly new and he was baffled by it. Tried adjusting temperature and motor speed, but it had no effect.

There is a chance my tech might stop by today to rebuild some stuff, if he does I'll run this by him. He's been doing this for a long time.

I would appreciate it.

Keeping in mind that I have run over 18,000 of these books on this exact paper, I grabbed some long grain 70# gloss text off the shelf and it runs perfectly without the wrinkles. Unfortunately the Plock doesn't seem to be able to trim it straight. When it trims off the sides of the sheets every few sheets will be trimmed crooked to the tune of a quarter of an inch. See photo.

Attachments

• crooked.jpg
    crooked.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I would appreciate it.

Here is a thought about a possible work-around. If you don't have the issue running simplex, you could run the sheets through simplex, printing the side with the least amount of coverage first, then reload the sheets and print the other side, not a great solution but I've used in in the past just to be able to keep going.

Here is a thought about a possible work-around. If you don't have the issue running simplex, you could run the sheets through simplex, printing the side with the least amount of coverage first, then reload the sheets and print the other side, not a great solution but I've used in in the past just to be able to keep going.

This is a variable data job. I was tempted to try that. We are just going to run it on the Versant 2100 to get by.

This is a variable data job. I was tempted to try that. We are just going to run it on the Versant 2100 to get by.

Whoa! not good to do that on a variable job. One other thought; have you switched to paper with a different lot number? I've had it happen with paper from the same company was running good, then suddenly problems and I could trace the problem right back to where I was using paper with a different lot number. Good to know you have a back up machine, I would love that!

Whoa! not good to do that on a variable job. One other thought; have you switched to paper with a different lot number? I've had it happen with paper from the same company was running good, then suddenly problems and I could trace the problem right back to where I was using paper with a different lot number. Good to know you have a back up machine, I would love that!

Yeah, it started on a skid that came in last month and continued on a new skid that we just got in last week. I am going to try 70# Dull and see if that changes anything.

We've had something similar with our 7110. It was a combination of thin paper, 70# and very heavy coverage on both sides of the sheet. The only fix we found was to go up paper weight to 80#.

We've had something similar with our 7110. It was a combination of thin paper, 70# and very heavy coverage on both sides of the sheet. The only fix we found was to go up paper weight to 80#.

That's what I feared.

I tried some 70# Dull Text that was short grain like the original 70# GT that wrinkled and it runs like a champ. No issues at all. Maybe a roller that isn't able to grip the gloss sheet???

That's what I feared.

I tried some 70# Dull Text that was short grain like the original 70# GT that wrinkled and it runs like a champ. No issues at all. Maybe a roller that isn't able to grip the gloss sheet???

We we're running GL on our job. I'll need to check if it was dull or gloss. It's an annual job. The images also get clear toner on top to add to the density.

Ah I see, yeh thats pretty light for high coverage.

You should be able to tell if the coverage is the problem by running through another artwork with less coverage on the same stock.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back