How to verify boxed genuine Xerox consumables; and inspect them after unboxing?

EEM

Hello Versant Community,
We are a fairly new digital printshop and own a brand new Versant 180, purchased from an authorised dealer. We received the first set of replacement toner cartridges a couple of months ago and started replacing them as required. However, two of those cartridges turned out to be faulty. Can anyone please advise:
How to verify a boxed genuine Xerox toner consumable?
How to find out the consumable's manufacturing date and shelf life?
How to verify an unboxed genuine Xerox toner cartridge?
How to inspect a toner cartridge?
Basically anything and everything about a genuine Xerox consumable, especially for Versant 180.

Thanks in advance!

Are you paying click charges? Most here are probably like myself and under contract so supplies come straight from Xerox. Wouldn't even enter my head if they could be dodgy. I do have the odd faulty unit but I just feck it out and load the next one. Looking at the supplies I have here (Ireland) there's a nice hologram Xerox sticker on the side but apart from that there's not much else apart from the generic print on the side of the box.

Thanks pippip.

No. We didn't know our volume beforehand so we didn't sign up for FPSMA yet. The toner boxes do have holographic stickers on them with a QR code, but scanning the code only gives the same alpha-numeric value that is already printed on the stickers.

There is also a manually black stamped code on one end of the boxes but doesn't look obvious what it codes to "2 00542899"

I can't really help you with your toner problems, but might I suggest you get on the FSMA yesterday. You don't want to be on the hook for some of these repairs that might occur. And don't get me started on how much they bill out for just the tech being there :eek:

If you're getting your supplies from an authorized dealer, you probably don't have to worry about them being genuine. That being said, there have been problems with drums and toners lately, as referenced in a previous thread. Bad chips in the drums is a known fact. My tech even said he knew what period of time they were distributed. He said the wonky drums can also affect toner usage. I have gotten empty toner cartridges more than once, in the same sealed packages as always.

If you're having problems with your supplies, it doesn't necessarily mean they are not genuine Xerox, they just are having supplier problems.

I also use a Versant 180.

Last edited:
Thanks AP90 and Possumgal!

I have already started a negotiation for FPSMA.

Though it would be nice to know more about the parts of the machine that we are using.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back