700DCP + EX700 / Mac / Driver Trouble

Hello everyone,

we received our 700DCP plus EX700 just a couple of days ago.

Unfortunately we have serious problems printing from any CURRENT Mac (current means Intel-based and 10.5.x (10.5.4/10.5.5/10.5.6 tested)). Whenever we open the print dialog we get an error message "the application EFI FD3toJP quit unexpectedly" – screen shot attached.

This happens on current 8-9 machines – the only ones that are able to print are old iMac with a G4 processor which we have on shelf for testing purposes.

I have talked to Xerox yesterday which denies any known problem. I have found one thread on the net ( Apple - Support - Discussions - Application crashing with Canon CLC4040 ... ) which explains exactly the same problems but does not provide any solution that helped.

Xerox stated – as probably anyone would expect – that this would either be a network problem or a 3rd-party software issue "any clean install would would work". Therefore we have made a clean install of 10.5.6 on a freshly initialized hard disk, installed the driver afterwards and received the same error message. Also made a direct connection between a Mac and the Fiery (accessing the Fiery's internal website plus any file services proofed the connection to be working perfectly) – does not help on the issue.

Does anyone have a solution? Or does anyone have similar problems?

Kind regards,

Lorenz

Attachments

• ERROR.jpg
    ERROR.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 214
Similar issue

Similar issue

Have new EFI Fiery E-7100 on a Lanier LD-260C printer. Get following message in console log:
EFI FD3ToJP myCallBack Unload !!!
EFI FD3ToJP myCallBack end !!!
EFI FD3ToJP UNLOAD !!!
Have a mix of macs, mostly G5 or MacPro towers running 10.4.11 and a few MacBook Pros running 10.5.6.
According to the Apple forum entry you found, the FD3ToJP is the EFI software that displays the Full Properties and should only run when that is accessed from the Print Dialog box. The console logs on my macs are peppered with the errors, users are not accessing the Full Properties. Other symptoms include slow access to print dialog boxes, some machines can't access the Full properties, some machines can't access the Customize under Fiery Features, and on one machine, InDesign crashes after printing. Local vendor doesn't "do" macs, EFI requires $250 per incident for support.
Sorry this isn't any help, but it looks to me like an EFI issue on Macs.

Have either of you called EFI, they have been very responsive to my questions in the past. I can't help with the mac issues, we are evil PC users.

Yes, we did contact EFI - their reply was, "We charge $250 per incident, see your local provider, or have a credit card ready when you call."
JJ

do you have a MAC in English where you can install the drivers in English?

I've seen a couple of issues in the past due to language translation.

Are in English

Are in English

Yes, English install, using E-7100 US PS driver from EFI.
Mac OS 10.4.11.
JJ

Case solved...

Case solved...

Hi there,

thanks for your support in this issue.

Finally we have been able to find a way that enables us to print thru the 700DCP from ANY Mac that was unable before. The trouble is caused by previous/other Fiery drivers that are on the system – either by a default system installation (which does include various printer drivers) or by any "old" Fiery drivers.

Instructions/details below...

Well – that's the good news. The downside is quite simple you will loose all your current printers – which can easily be re-installed afterwards.

PLEASE NOTE: no warranties imposed follow the instructions at your own risk!

00) as always – make a full backup of the Mac
on top level:
01) delete folder /Library/Application/Application Support/EFI
02) delete folder /Library/Application/Application Support/Xerox (or any other OEM Fiery folder)
03) delete any file(!) that starts with "h" in /Library/Application/Frameworks (important!)
leave folders that start with "h" (like HP...) untouched (or you will have to reinstall whatever is associated with it)
04) delete folder /Library/Preferences/EFI (if it does exist)
05) delete everything inside /Library/Printers (you will have to install all printers again)

now to the user folder:
06) delete everything inside /Users/yourname/Library/Printers
07) delete every file that start with "com.apple.print. " in /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences
08) delete every file that start with "com.efi. " in /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences
09) delete folder /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/EFI
10) delete /Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/EFI.HarmonyPrinterV2 (important!)

That's all we have found useful/necessary to get rid of the old drivers,

Afterwards run "Repair permissions" from the Hard Disk Utilities and Install the current 700DCP driver (or any other OEM Fiery driver that uses the latest Fiery architecture).

PLEASE NOTE: we have tested what happens if we install an old driver like the EX7750 or EX250 – does lead exactly to the same problems mentioned in the beginning of the thread (although we know now how to get rid of the problems).

Downside for (some) users: it appears that old and new Fiery drivers cannot exist side by side on the same Mac...

Downside 2: too bad EFI does not offer a decent uninstaller.

Comments? Suggestions? You are more than welcome... :)

Kind regards,

Lorenz

Last edited:

Downside for (some) users: it appears that old and new Fiery drivers cannot exist side by side on the same Mac...

Downside 2: too bad EFI does not offer a decent uninstaller.

1. I think it's because a mismatch on the Adobe Postscript versions that can't be together

2. I've seen a "Clean Up" utility in one of the CDs for this purpose

@X33 (btw speedy fan?!?)

1) may be – i heard it's all about "harmony"
2) wish i would have had that tool at hand when i needed it. xerox told me does not exist (for windows it's on every cd/dvd)...

regards,

lorenz

There is a CWS4 Clean Up Utility, but only works on Windows (CWS4 is not an option on the Mac).
There is also a Fiery Printer Delete Utility, but that also only works on Windows.
AFAIK there is no printer delete utility or clean up utility for the Mac, but I stand corrected if anyone can point me in the direction of either. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back