Xerox 242 as entry level digital machine

rflores Craig has made me tell everyone that I work for Konica I think it is only fair that you have a signature stateing you work for Xerox.

Thanks Random, I just feel that if you work for a manufacturer or it's vendors you should be up front about it. Don't unintentionally mislead those of us who don't, at least we will understand your biased statements. It seems like common sense.:rolleyes:

Here ya go Craig, WhatTheyThink - Kevin Kern talks about Konica Minolta's Efforts to Solve Customer Challenges someone has bought seven c6500 and does 100,000 prints in an 8 hour shift. I suppose they could have bought 2 8000AP's for that money but you know simple maths 160 pages a minute or 455 pages a minute. You could knock that down to 100 pages a minute for the 8000 as owners spend a lot of time checking density change is less than 2dE and reg is within .5mm.

Wow they must have a LARGE office or only run text weight uncoated paper for the majority of the prints.

What is their application???? That never gets answered. Are they running text weights or cover weights, coated or uncoated??? There is a HUGE difference in how the machine will perform when you (owner/operator) are running the machine towards it's max gsm on a regular basis, you should know that.

Every buying decision needs to be weighed to the answer of those questions. There is a reason why all the manufactures have so many different machines, they all fit a need or a set of needs. Unless you are talking iGen, Nexpress or Indigo production levels, then you need to be more aware of the machines limitations. For an environment that will predominantly run text weights the c6500 will be a fine solution, but if you are talking about running 12x18 226-300gsm coated day in and day out, I doubt it will run consistently without service being there working on it all the time.

The Xerox Docucolor machines are not to bad for entering the market and have on a few times beaten out their big brother the i-Gen3 for image quality. The newer machines with the grown toner vs pulverization process has helped them. Their price on the units could be a little better though, but you can usually count on their service being prompt and fix any issues.

Konica's C6500 has a better price point then some of the DC's depending on the configuration. The image quality on that has also been compared to being on par or superior to the i-Gen3. Make sure you look into where your local service is for the device, and that the location is certified as not all Konica dealers are trained and certified to service the device. The Creo is worth it for color management and a few other things such as being able to rotate impositions at the press instead of having to go back to prepress and then resending it to the press with the Fiery.

If you are looking to add large capacity input trays for longer run jobs or to hold large volumes of common stock you should internally decide if you anticipate running odd size stocks. The lower end DC models are not fully adjustable and have locking tray guides for sizes such as 8.5x11 8.5x14 and 11x17. The C6500 does have these guides fully adjustable to any odd size.

There is also a new Konica C6501 coming out soon as well as the Xerox 700 to maybe consider but will more then likely be at a higher price point then the DC242 you were targeting. Also the 700 now has fully variable paper guides.

Make sure you avoid Ikon for any of the Konica machines as they are being dropped as a reseller for Konica now that Richo has purchased Ikon. I'm told they can still service the machines but won't receive any upgrades (software) and won't be able to sell them new anymore.

If you didn't know Fuji manufacturers the DC models for Xerox so they can also be a vendor for Xerox including now the i-Gen which is developed and manufactured by Xerox.

but if you are talking about running 12x18 226-300gsm coated day in and day out, I doubt it will run consistently without service being there working on it all the time.

You need to move on from this weary comment craig. It could be 80gsm or 300gsm the machine will run it all day without a problem. I have met hardend xerox people like yourself (they aren't on the payroll tho :)) who have been forced to use a c6500 due to managment decisions and they say they have never seen machine hold solids as good as the c6500. This weight thing......it isn't an issue, except at the asylum/amusement park your dealing with.

Random, I realize you are rather thick skulled, but if you would read the posts there is quite a bit of complaints regarding front to back registration on cover weights with various machines. For the average office environment I am sure they wouldn't have a clue the registration is off, but run a set of duplexed business cards 24 up with bleeds and see how well they trim out on a cutter when F/B is +/- 2mm.

Funny thing about KM, they don't list the registration you should expect in the brochure I have for the 6500, or how much it slow down (if it does, can't tell) when printing 12x18 220gsm, only 65ppm 8.5x11.

You have a brochure! I new I would talk you into it.

If the machine at the asylum has registration of +-2mm then get Konica to take it back. They are obviously too thick to use it.

Next time you are in Cleveland Craig catch the konica boys by surprise and tell them you want to look at a c6500. If they can't get the reg consistantly better than 1mm (regardless of stock) then I will call xerox immediatly and ask for a job. Take some of your hard files to, see what they are supposed to look like.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back