Presstek 34DI

Re: Presstek 34DI

You can read about here:

http://www.kba-print.de/en/produkte2/bogenoffsetdruck3/genius52.html

This is not a DI press. It is made made by the maker of the 74 Karat and utilizes the same type of keyless inking system. I do not have one, nor am I in the market for one. I mentioned it here because some of you have expressed concerns about ghosting. This press is inherently free of ghosting as is the 74 Karat.

Al

The first couple of boxes performed a lot better than pstk plates, the last batch we received had problems with 2 scratchlines showing up after imaging. Just got in a new batch.. will try and keep you posted

amin

In theory this would be the ideal press to buy.. in practicality printing with UV inks is not easy, ink only has 6 months of shelf life, costs 4 times more. On long runs the image gets burned onto the blankets and that costs a penny, plus all the environmental policies to follow.
As far as I am aware, don't have one running in Canada yet!!!

What makes you think that it requires UV inks? I think UV is only an option.

Al

Hi Amin,

What is the ISO7 standard you mention??

We have tried ISO12647, but after several months we found out that there are no inks currently manufactured to the required ISO2846 standard to run this spec.

The nearest we have found is the TOYO LZ range. But we cant use our ISO measuring equipment to get the colours right as they are not the same.

Dave

Sorry I meant Garcol 7 standard... you can use any ink to get to this standard as long as you have a good densitometer and the software to give you the calculations for dot gain and loss.
We chose Toyo lz caus it seems to run best in our environment plus support and information on this ink is easy to attain

We back on the VIM plates, the only problem we seem to have is pinholes in non image area... still trying to determine the cause

amin

Amin,

Did you call the maker of the VIM plates? He is a good guy and he could help you solve the problem.
Any residue on your plate cylinders or blankets? Or the form rollers? Is the laser adjusted properly?
Maybe your paper stock is dusty? Pull a long piece of plate out and check for pinholes etc.

I talked to the makers of VIM plates.. they are a little baffled about it too.. We dont get pin holes on presstek plates. You can see an indent on the plate where the pinholes are. As far as the laser adjustment.. how do I know if its correct or wrong when it seems to work with ptkplates.
As for paper we backtrim all 4 sides to get rid of hickies.

Just next day the plates back to VIM and have them inspect them. They will probaly offer to pay shipping. Are both units showing pin holes? If not swap the plates unit to unit. Thanks for your feedback

Yes both units are showing pin holes. We send the rolls back and they claim there is nothing wrong with them. I was told a service rep would come by and look at our press to check for something unusual, no one has showed up yet, little disappointed with the support.
Then I was told it has to do with powder, switched from Varn C270 to Airtech, put the plates back on and got pinholes right away.
Either there is something seriously wrong with our press or the plates are not what they put out to be.

amin

Amin,

Thanks for keeping us informed about the VIM plates. I hope they resolve your problems if not better stick to the razor and blade boys. Maybe a rep from VIM is watching the post and can comment.

Take care
OG

Amin,

FYI

http://members.whattheythink.com/news/newslink.cfm?id=30719

Presstek Sues VIM Technologies and its Distributors

Source: Press release issued by the company, unless otherwise noted.

HUDSON, N.H. - February 11, 2008 - Presstek, Inc. the leading manufacturer and marketer of digital offset business solutions, today announced the filing of a Complaint with the International Trade Commission (ITC) against Israeli printing plate manufacturer VIM Technologies, Ltd. and its manufacturing partner Hanita Coatings RCA, Ltd. for infringement of Presstek's patent and trademark rights. Presstek also sued three U.S. based distributors of VIM products: Guaranteed Service & Supplies, Inc., Ohio Graphco Inc., and Recognition Systems Inc., as well as one Canadian based distributor, AteCe Canada. Presstek is seeking, among other things, an Order from the ITC forbidding the importation and sale of the VIM printing plates in the United States; such an Order would be enforced at all U.S. borders by the U.S. Customs Service.

Any thoughts?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back