Envelope Printing with a Konica (bizhub) 6500

Gregory

Hi,
We purchased a Bizhub 6500 machine and I can not for the life of me get the machine to run envelopes with out puttin a crease somewhere on the envelope. Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can fix this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help that you could give me.

Re: Envelope Printing with a Konica (bizhub) 6500

Gregory:
This is a new one on me. In fact, I can't ever remember someone printing envelopes on a digital color printing machine. Maybe a DI press with grippers, but that in itself is a gray area of "digital".
I hope someone can clarify this by saying "sure we do envelopes on our iGen or NexPress all the time."
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Try running a side seam envelope, we use these on a Canon IR3200, they seem to lay flatter.

Gregory,

What size settings do you use on the print driver and the machine itself for a #10 envelope?
We are testing the C6500 on a trial basis and can't get it to feed past paper tray 5 and area PF5
this is the area where it keeps jamming. Any answers to this would be appreciated.

We just got a KM 6500 and we were told it can't do small envelopes.
Maybe booklet envelopes but we haven't tried that yet.

This machine will run DLE evelopes infact it will print 100mmx182mm from the PF-601. However if you want to print evelopes from the PF-601 you will have to tell tech support to turn of the multifeed detection. You should make sure the seal is down the long edge of the print to prevent creaseing.

Hay Random, we have a beater IRC3200 that we throw some envelopes through every now and then. I have found if I use a "heavy" paper setting that some brands of envelopes will seal shut from the heat. If I set it to "plain" paper this does not happen. Do you think there would be any issues like this with the 6500?

Beater? as in egg beater? All laser printers use heat and I would assume that you would have similar problems with a c6500 as heat is heat regardless of how you make it.

My customers use self sealing envelopes that have to be folded to reveal the adhesive. Even your oily 8000 might print on them. Ooooops thats right minimum paper width 180mm hardy har har ;)

Last edited:
We just installed a KM 6500 recently and were told that envelope printing is not recommended or supported by the machine due to the multifeed preventative measures. These can be manually over-riden to facilitate envelop feeding, but sounds like your seeing further issues with creasing.

Envelope Printing on digital presses

Envelope Printing on digital presses

A month ago, I attended a grip and grin session at Xerox with about 70 printers who had every conceivable kind of digital printing equipment. None of it works for envelopes, a last bastion of 12x18 sheetfed offset presses. A few worked around by using desktop inkjet printers for envelopes. Another work around is to print the flat envelope and then cut and assemble, did this recently on an Indigo for a #10. Four color envelopes, as long as no bleed, are made for the Presstek DI or any DI. Works great, and it's a little digital.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Beater? as in egg beater? All laser printers use heat and I would assume that you would have similar problems with a c6500 as heat is heat regardless of how you make it.

My customers use self sealing envelopes that have to be folded to reveal the adhesive. Even your oily 8000 might print on them. Ooooops thats right minimum paper width 180mm hardy har har ;)

Beater as in I Beat the Sh!t out of it by running anything that will run through it! :p

My Gorden Flesch techs hate me when I tell them it was running fine until I ran magnetic paper through it.

As for the envelopes we only run them on the 3200 when the customers need less than 50. The rest of our envelopes are run on offsets... you know REAL printing... with ink and plates and water!:D

It's fun when you can have dialog with someone who has a sense of humor!:)

I have tried printing envelopes on several digital (toner based) digital print engines and in my experience there is no way to get away from wrinkling the envelope. The only thing I have found that seems to work to some extent is to run the envelopes with the flap open and the longest edge (after opening the flap) as the leading edge (on #10's the flap is open and is the trailing edge). For #10 envelopes this means opening the flaps (not as bad as it sounds for small quantities) and using a custom page size. There is a fair amount of jamming (approx 3-4 jams per 100) but for short runs of 100 envelopes it's the only game in town unless you get a small inkjet printer to print them on.

We have a C6500 and were told that if we had the bypass tray instead of the high cap drawers, it would do envelopes. I have a hard time seeing it get through the booklet maker without getting lost, but we'll never know. BUT we do have a very old Ricoh Aficio that ran anything through the bypass tray. We've printed all A-size envelopes, on the flap, front, whatever, #10's, you name it. Sadly though, it is dying and we've yet to find a comparable replacement. Konica let us try one that has a envelope feature when we bought our bizhub, but it was terrible and we sent it back.

This machine will run DLE evelopes infact it will print 100mmx182mm from the PF-601. However if you want to print evelopes from the PF-601 you will have to tell tech support to turn of the multifeed detection. You should make sure the seal is down the long edge of the print to prevent creaseing.
Random, our tech can't find which setting to change to turn multifeed detection off. Do you happen to know which setting to change?

Thanks for your help!
Richard Green

running envelopes on the 6500 is not adviseble and out of specs. You can try running with media type plain . The only thing is my customer tried it and with in a day she was down due to the glue sprayed all in the fuser unit and blocked the thermistor and through a fuser code.

Fuser

Fuser

We have a 6500 with 1.5 million on it. I am also a konica trained tech. It is simply not worth the cost in damage to the fuser running envelopes.
Xante has a new envelope printer that looks promising.

We run envelopes on our Xerox 5000 all the time with very little trouble.

The trick is to use a specific digital envelope - we use digiline envelopes from Xerox supplies.

The smallest size envelope we can run is C5 though - a DL (letter) envelope is too small to be fed through the machine.

Hope some of this helps.

Exert taken form a post in another thread in Digital Printing:

We've been running envelopes on our Xante Ilumina for a year. They run really well through it, but mostly runs under 200, because we run through the manual tray. Any amount larger than 200 we print on the duplicators or if four color is needed on the GTO.

I am impressed on how easy the envelopes run on the Ilimuna and we also have a separate fuser we use for envelopes.... We have had no consistent wrinkle problem (no more than on the offest presses). The gum does not stick to the envelope from the fuser heat. Occasionally we run into the feeder (friction based) not being able to pick up envelopes well when printing on the flap of some announcement envelopes that have a very smooth finish.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back