2007 HP Indigo 5000 thoughts?

wonderings

On is coming up for auction. Its not huge on our priority list, but if the price is right we might go for it. I know they have a good reputation, so I guess what I want to know is, what are the serious cons to this machine?

Thanks

serious con: it's digital... ;)

But seriously, from what I've seen (I don't have one), Indigo is a great machine over the other digital presses. If it's on auction, you should ask your local HP representative about it - you'll need to be on a service contract and presumably paying clicks. Their service technicians need to vouch for it that you're not buying a Friday afternoon car.

The price of used Indigos seems to have dropped dramatically recently (at least here in Europe) and I suspect that's at least in part because if you can't persuade HP to take them back on contract, they are not usable.

If you haven't already: find out (a) whether HP will offer you a contract (at all) on this machine and at what rates & conditions (b) how much HP would charge to inspect it before putting it on contract.

They can't tell you how much they would charge to bring it back to a condition they would accept back on contract (parts, labour) as they don't know what, if anything, needs doing. The inspection cost alone may make your eyes water!

If you haven't done already, cross post on Home › Digital Print Forum » Technical help for digital print professionals where there's a lot of active Indigo discussion going on.

cons: need skilled personnel for operation/maintenance, need lots of volume. Lots of pros copared to other digital devices, but those are two of the cons from our perspective

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back