2D Code Help

Lammy

Need a program or service that can take and excel file and create 2D Data Matrix code images and put the file name of each image for each record into the file.

We're using XMpie for VDP.

XMPie will generate those for you. Page 238 of the uDirect users manual details this operation. Good luck!

Will look that up. Today we found IDAutomation has an encoder and OTF font that will make them as well. Problem is we could only get the encoder to load once in Excel, then it wouldn't again after that.

FInally got around to figuring out the built in data matrix for XMPie. It's pretty slick but now the trouble is how to get the data encoded correctly for it. Basically we need the address information separated by a tab character. Below is what I currently have, and it may well be right, but scanning the code with my iPad the tabs come up as ?s

XMP2DDataMatrix(|->[First Name] & HexToUnicode("9") & |->[Last Name] & HexToUnicode("9") & |->[Address1] & |->[Address2] & HexToUnicode("9") & |->[City] & HexToUnicode("9") & |->[State] & HexToUnicode("9") & |->[Zip])

Maybe try substituting your "HexToUnicode("9") with "~d009"" (including the quotes).

Got this from another forum. It's for Fusion, but that shouldn't really matter when encoding the barcode. Hopefully. Maybe. Good luck.

Edit: Here's the link to the post on the fusion forums: http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=1481 Dude gives a couple of other possibilities.

Also, IDAutomation has a great page on Data Matrix barcodes here:

http://www.idautomation.com/barcode-faq/2d/data-matrix/

(Also mentions using ~d009 for encoding tabs.)

Last edited:
Figured it out today at work. "\t" is a tab and it's a built in expression in the extended functions menu.

Anyone know how to get this to work in Print Show Mail? I can create the barcode but when I scan it into excel rather than seeing tab as a function to move to the next cell it sees it as text.
I have a barcode scanner and the sales person I purchased it from told me to use <TAB> between my data fields to make excel put each field in a seperate column. But that isn't what happens everything reads into one field with <TAB> as text. I contacted them and they are working on the issue but it could take 2 to 3 days. My client wants a sample ASAP. I have tried a few other charactors to see if they work but get the same results. I have used ^t & \t

Here is what I put in PSM:
[Seq]&"<TAB>"&[Full Name]&"<TAB>"&[Address]&"<TAB>"&[C,S,Z]

When you import into excel, use the import wizard:
Open Excel
Click "File"
Click "Open"
Change the browser box to reflect "All Files"

Locate the file you want to open, then the import wizard will start. You want to open it as a "Delimited" file, "Delimited With" = Tab, Text Qualifier="

The goal is the to have Print shop mail generate the barcode, (which it does)We printout the forms with variable data and barcode on them and the custoer fills in the phone number and email then returns it. Upon receiving the reply card we scan the barcode and the information in the barcode is broken up into excel. There isn't a database to import because we only want the records of those who respond. I just need to make excel translate the information in the barcode correctly. Currently it puts all the information in 1 cell including the <TAB>. Which makes me believe it doesn't recognize that as a function.Any ideas?

Oh, I see. Will your scanner write to something other than excel? Try scanning it to any text editor (Notepad, WordPad, etc.) Then import into excel as a tab delimited file.

Try removing the quotes from around <tab>. The quotes should be telling the program what is enclosed is text and not a function.

I am also looking for a solution to read barcodes and break apart the values in Excel. I would appreciate any update there is on your project. In our case, we want to create a shipping label with a barcode that our client can scan when receiving our product into their book room. The barcode would save them from entering Excel data manually (qty, description, total order cost) by having the barcode fill one field, skip to the next field, then skip to the next line.

I am also looking for a solution to read barcodes and break apart the values in Excel. I would appreciate any update there is on your project. In our case, we want to create a shipping label with a barcode that our client can scan when receiving our product into their book room. The barcode would save them from entering Excel data manually (qty, description, total order cost) by having the barcode fill one field, skip to the next field, then skip to the next line.

Contact Symbology - Digital Barcode Files, Verification Equipment, Sequential Barcode Labels

I know they have software that will do that. I have never used it though so I don't know anything more than that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back