The Importance of PDF/VT for Variable Data Printing

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
This is a good read by PODI's Greg Cholmondeley about why those dealing with variable data should care about it. Here's the link:

So, let's assume that my GMC Inspire had an engine for PDF VT (1 or 2)
Here is my question. I have a Device Link Profile that I need to run to my output.
GMC does not have a function to allow that to happen on the fly.
I end up with a PDF that is 100,000 pages (example)
I need to apply a device link profile to that entire PDF VT.
Do-able?

So, let's assume that my GMC Inspire had an engine for PDF VT (1 or 2)

OK - let's assume that. Since PDF/VT-1 is derived from PDF/X-4, probably not a huge step...assuming they already do PDF/X-4.

Here is my question. I have a Device Link Profile that I need to run to my output.

Why? Are you sure that is the correct thing to do? In many cases, the PDF/VT file will contain parts that go to different devices - in which case, the operation you describe wouldn't be performed on the entire file...

No. I will use the file to go to one location - my digital web press (CiPress 500)

OK - let's assume that. Since PDF/VT-1 is derived from PDF/X-4, probably not a huge step...assuming they already do PDF/X-4.

Why? Are you sure that is the correct thing to do? In many cases, the PDF/VT file will contain parts that go to different devices - in which case, the operation you describe wouldn't be performed on the entire file...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back