VDP Recommendation

I would encourage you to have a look at EngageIT VDP by Konica Minolta. This is a pure plug-in based VDP tool that works directly with Adobe InDesign. This means you can take advantage of any feature that InDesign offers, many of which cannot be supported in standalone applications like PrintShop Maiil and Fusio Pro. It is really easy to use, but incredibly powerful. There is a great set of videos on their website at www.EngageITVDP.com/videos. They have a version that produces PDF and PDF/VT output with all the bells and whistles (rules/conditional logic, automatic copy fitting, multi-up support, etc.) for around $900. This is based on DesignMerge software, which is another great choice (www.DesignMerge.com).

I would encourage you to have a look at EngageIT VDP by Konica Minolta. This is a pure plug-in based VDP tool that works directly with Adobe InDesign. This means you can take advantage of any feature that InDesign offers, many of which cannot be supported in standalone applications like PrintShop Maiil and Fusio Pro. It is really easy to use, but incredibly powerful. There is a great set of videos on their website at www.EngageITVDP.com/videos. They have a version that produces PDF and PDF/VT output with all the bells and whistles (rules/conditional logic, automatic copy fitting, multi-up support, etc.) for around $900. This is based on DesignMerge software, which is another great choice (www.DesignMerge.com).

How open is EngageIT VDP? With every new Indesign release will you need a new paid upgrade?

You would have to speak with Konica about EngageIT VDP, but my understanding that as long as you maintain support on the product all of the upgrades to support new versions of InDesign are completely free. Plus you get free access to all of the training materials, including access to their online video training library. The first year purchase includes all of the upgrades for the year as well as access to the training materials, etc.

You would have to speak with Konica about EngageIT VDP, but my understanding that as long as you maintain support on the product all of the upgrades to support new versions of InDesign are completely free. Plus you get free access to all of the training materials, including access to their online video training library. The first year purchase includes all of the upgrades for the year as well as access to the training materials, etc.

Sounds like another subscription model for software.

Actually, that's a rather hasty generalization...

In fact you can use the software as long as you would like. Do you know how many of our own customers are still using CS6? If you want upgrades to keep up with InDesign versions, and access to top notch technical support, then you just pay your small annual support fee. And if you don't need support, and don't plan on updating InDesign, then feel free to pay nothing and continue to use the software all you want! I can't think of too many VDP software options out there now that don't have some support component to them.

In the end, if VDP is a core part of your business, do you think that having the best possible product for the job is worth a few hundred dollars? We feel that if a software product provides great features, with killer support, it's well worth the arguably trivial investment, and hundreds of our own satisfied DesignMerge customers seem to agree. Feel free to check out a few accolades at (http://www.meadowsps.com/site/details/designmerge_testimonials.htm).

One last thing... since you seem to be into free software... and who isn't????

We give away some very powerful free software on our web site called the "Meadows Productivity Suite". The current version provides a great tool for automating the creation of multi-up layouts directly inside an Adobe InDesign document. It's really cool, and yes, it is totally free. Actually, there is an annual support fee for it - but that's free too!

Seriously, it's free. Feel free to check it out at ( http://www.meadowsps.com/site/details/mps_pro_suite_details.htm )

I find that frustrating getting prices for some of this software. Tried to look at pricing and the only thing I see under pricing is $1500 a month and I know that is certainly not for a VDP program for a small print shop. Not sure why these companies get all secretive about their pricing, I know it turns me off even researching it as I do not always want to talk to a rep as they can be annoying. When I am serious and ready I will talk to one. When it comes to software though in most cases I can do my own research, find peoples thoughts and reviews and then buy without ever needing to talk to anyone from the company. The whole hide the price and let someone get in touch with you feels so antiquated.

Did you know SpaceX publishes the prices of their rocket launches on their website? If you want them to send something of yours to space, you can figure out what it'd cost from their website (https://www.spacex.com/about/capabilities). And yet, many software vendors hide their prices so you're forced to contact a sales rep who will eventually quote you something after your 30-minute "get to know your company" call and your hour demo. Maddening. If your product is good enough, you don't have to hide the price tag =)

Did you know SpaceX publishes the prices of their rocket launches on their website? If you want them to send something of yours to space, you can figure out what it'd cost from their website (https://www.spacex.com/about/capabilities). And yet, many software vendors hide their prices so you're forced to contact a sales rep who will eventually quote you something after your 30-minute "get to know your company" call and your hour demo. Maddening. If your product is good enough, you don't have to hide the price tag =)

It is the "old" way of doing things. A salesman comes in, gives you all the info they have while trying to sell you on how great it is. The "new" world lets us research and find so much information we sometimes know more about the product then they do. I know with some digital sales reps for some of the big digital print companies I was aware of issues or functions that they were not aware of because I can communicate with the world and find people who use them in real world situations.

Drives me even more nuts when you cannot even download a demo without filling out a contact form and have to wait for them to contact you to get a demo. It all seems so shady like they are hiding something or they really think I am an idiot unable to look at their software without the guiding hand of a salesperson. Unless they are flexible on their prices and each customer gets a different price there is no way it should not be listed. Are they scared people will be shocked by the price? This is pro software, not home consumer stuff where it needs to be $20. I expect software that works for helps me make money will have a higher price tag (within reason).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back