Variable Data Printing Software

TW@TCPT

Hi,
We are looking into updating or changing our VDP software(currently using HP Smartstream) and we're looking for any feedback on the following solutions...Xmpie, Fusionpro and Pageflex. We are producing all types of products with Smartstream now from simple mail projects to complex image swaps on short to intermediate run length projects. Any feedback you might have on any of these solutions is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

This topic has been addressed in great detail - I would recommend searching this forum first and then come back if you have specific questions that were not already addressed.

Searching is no fun Dan...
We use FusionPro but I think there must be something easier to use. Our jobs are mainly addresses for newsletters and letter mailings, postcards, and ticket numbering. I would appreciate something easier to use than FP. If I have Fiery Command WS 5 does that mean I can use Free Form? Thanks.

I believe so - they have a free version of Free Form they give away that can do simple stuff (check your Fiery Software Manager for the install) and a crazy expensive version of Free Form that ostensibly does more.

Searching is no fun Dan...
We use FusionPro but I think there must be something easier to use. Our jobs are mainly addresses for newsletters and letter mailings, postcards, and ticket numbering. I would appreciate something easier to use than FP. If I have Fiery Command WS 5 does that mean I can use Free Form? Thanks.
I know this is an old thread- I'm trying to avoid starting a new one. We have been using PrintShop mail for years (an older version) but we are currently running into issues with out Canon Image Press machines crashing when processing over 5000 addresses. (We used to be able to run 20,000 with no issues) No one can help nail down a solution. (Reinstalling Fiery solved the issue temporarily and we have sufficient RAM.) Now were are looking at new VDP software and alternatives to upgrading to Print Shop Mail Connect.
As a side note, I've tried to use InDesign for this and it seems unworkable. (It's way too slow)
Is InDesign not a real solution to large amounts of variable data printing?

I know this is an old thread- I'm trying to avoid starting a new one. We have been using PrintShop mail for years (an older version) but we are currently running into issues with out Canon Image Press machines crashing when processing over 5000 addresses. (We used to be able to run 20,000 with no issues) No one can help nail down a solution. (Reinstalling Fiery solved the issue temporarily and we have sufficient RAM.) Now were are looking at new VDP software and alternatives to upgrading to Print Shop Mail Connect.
As a side note, I've tried to use InDesign for this and it seems unworkable. (It's way too slow)
Is InDesign not a real solution to large amounts of variable data printing?
I know this is old, but have you tried PDF/VT, or PPML output? As long as your controller supports them it will likely eliminate your crashing issues.

Also, we use XMPIE for complex VDP jobs, but for basic mailings we use PSL (Jetletter) and it's insanely fast for it. I just did a 5x7 full bleed color postcard 4up on 12x18. It took about 5 minutes to set up the layout and link the proper fields, and 12 seconds to output 3090 records.

We have PSL PageBuilder Pro in case you are curious.

I know this is old, but have you tried PDF/VT, or PPML output? As long as your controller supports them it will likely eliminate your crashing issues.

Also, we use XMPIE for complex VDP jobs, but for basic mailings we use PSL (Jetletter) and it's insanely fast for it. I just did a 5x7 full bleed color postcard 4up on 12x18. It took about 5 minutes to set up the layout and link the proper fields, and 12 seconds to output 3090 records.

We have PSL PageBuilder Pro in case you are curious.
Thanks for the reply on an old thread. Our version of Print Shop mail won't do PPML. Our current workflow (with PSM) can process up to 4000 records but we need to triple that if possible. After a couple attempted solutions we're now looking into the Design Merge plug-in for InDesign. Looks like a good piece of software than can handle complex jobs (on the font end) but it won't matter if our Fiery still can't handle the processing. I have my doubts about this as a solution because the files we were sending over from Print Shop Mail were small and they still crashed at over 4000 records even though the same workflow used to handle 20,000+. But I could be wrong and maybe new Fiery just doesn't play well with our old version of PSM.
Thanks for the recommendations. We are also looking at Page Builder, XMPIE and Fusion Pro as well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back