GMC PrintNet Solutions

FasterMD

Has anyone used this software and if so please give me your thoughts on the usability/functionality.

We've been using PlanetPress for our transactional printing and are finding it just is not as versatile as we and our clients would like.

I just had a demo of PrintNet at Graph Expo and was very impressed by what I saw.

Thank you for your feedback.

We have it at all of our facilities. It is a very powerful program.
The one thing that I like the best is the support time.
If we write in with a feature request or an issue that is really hot and hot working,
we sometimes see fixes within weeks.
We have used it at our facility for 2-3 years now.

Thanks kaiserwilhelm,

How was the training, documentation, online support/forums?

I'm asking because I've had enough with situations of poor customer service(XMPie) and useless documentation(Objectif Lune - PlanetPress) that I'd like to hear what actual users have to say.

If you have experience working with FusionPro and the folks at Printable could you compare GMC to them? I've been so impressed with the documentation and support I've received from Printable that I now compare most customer service experiences I have with them.

It sounds like you're very happy with GMC, I'm just looking for some more examples.

Thanks again for your info!

it is my understanding that GMC PrintNet is much, much more complicated than Planet Press. I was told by another owner of a company that a top notch GMC user is able to demand upwards to 75k a year because it is so complex. This is however, if he has experience in the direct mail field. I find that hard to believe. Anyone have any feedback on that?

Thanks
Will

President

President

Very powerful ....great for complex variable data projects.
Note: Franklin Press needs experienced PrintNet / VB / FoxPro people
Top salaries.

I have been using GMC for over 10 years and it is a great program. I currently have all of the big players in my facility and we use GMC 90% of the time. It isnt a very complicated program to use as I have trained my prepress people how to program in it. It is easy to setup and run. The problems you have is with the customers wanting to do stuff and not having the correct information to do it. This is where any software that you buy will be hard.

The support and training are great and they are always willing to help.

We to have been using Printnet for almost 2yrs now after using Printsoft Pres for over 10yrs. Really good product, excellent Research and Development from GMC. Support is also very efficient.

I would be so brave as to say that it probably is or will become the number 1 product soon. No other product on the market compares in terms of quality,use and price.

I have used GMC printnet for 9 years and I don't think that I am betraying confidences in saying I don't know of any one that has moved from GMC's Printnet to any other software. But it is down to personal Preference. I have not tried any other software so don't know how they compare.

I am using it since 1 year...I have use ISIS Papyrus too...found printnet t more userfriendly...since its GUI based software...and if you speak about basic uses then its very easy to use..drag n drop...but when it comes to complex use..its excellent...i mean best parts n features that i personally like is :
1) What u see is what u get...work parallely seeing wht u r doing...
2) Multifile handling at same time
3) Merging,,,script input module for complex structured data
4) Data transformation ... and post processing event scripts
5) Index or AFP file tagging and verifying....

Thanks
Nayak

powerful tool...

powerful tool...

Nayak and the other GMC guys.
I completely agree with you, it is a very powerful, flexible, almost "endless possibilities" tool.
with little knowledge and a bit of practice yuo can do a LOT.
I handled GMC for about 2 years, but the things Nayak and some other are talking are far more advanced: I guess you got a little more deeper into scripting/data scripting.
how was the response/ help/provided samples/code from GMC at this level?
I left the printing / VDP field for a DBA/ERP position, but at my former job the GMC communication was kind of filtered by a no-programming-knowledge guy which kind of shut my requests for additional samples/docs/help (not able to understand the data concepts.....).
also out of curiosity (I like the DBA/reporting/ERP field now) what is the salary range (general ballpark) for a dba programmer (6-8 years experience) with 2 years experience in GMC.
do you have any contacts around Illinois?

thanks guys and happy variable processing.

P.S.
I wish I could find you about 1 1/2 years ago.... any forum of GMC users at that time would have had helped me a lot....

@ Pandus and general speak

@ Pandus and general speak

well i cannot rate myself among old experienced gmc users though...but te areas that i explored in this tools i liked it for it...

even if u dont use scripts still it way ahead in ease of use...being working in output management and mailing service clients i know how good is this tol when it comes to zipcode/barcode/TLE/enveloping with printers...

best part is u can view ur design architecture ...like a BI tool (business intelligence...some times i wonder GMC inspired from there and developed it...b cos i worked in a tool called 'Datastage..which looks alike :) )

nyways regarding support..i never asked for one..except they installed some patches...thats all... bt not much idea... and yes if u r seraching in helpfiles to see any examples or use then well i can rate gmc help options as *** Poor***

I have used GMC for 11 years now starting in Print Net 3 and now Print Net T designer 6.1, PA, VCS, and Web Proof. I have found it to be a great software. The GUI interface makes it easy for people to learn. It is very robust from being able to quickly set up the most simple applications to being able to efficiently handle extremely complex applications.In my experience everytime I am faced with a new challenge GMC has never let me down. I have never run into anything that it can not do and I have been involved in jobs that have really pushed the envelope. It is just a matter of figuring out how to do it. The other nice thing about the software is that there is always 3-4 different ways to do something in the software. That is good when you have a variety of people with different skill levels and experience in your department.

I used this program.
It's a little difficult to operate and too much expensive.
And I find another program named UCCSOFT SmartVizor, which covers features for bank and insurance bills , and have better service and much lower price.
So maybe you could have a try.

I have used GMC for 11 years now starting in Print Net 3 and now Print Net T designer 6.1, PA, VCS, and Web Proof. I have found it to be a great software. The GUI interface makes it easy for people to learn. It is very robust from being able to quickly set up the most simple applications to being able to efficiently handle extremely complex applications.In my experience everytime I am faced with a new challenge GMC has never let me down. I have never run into anything that it can not do and I have been involved in jobs that have really pushed the envelope. It is just a matter of figuring out how to do it. The other nice thing about the software is that there is always 3-4 different ways to do something in the software. That is good when you have a variety of people with different skill levels and experience in your department.

I agree with you gmh17. Printnet T is far more better than any other software in this printing field. Even ISIS papyrus has to improve to come to the level of Printnet T. Papyrus is far behind in GUI to Printnet T. This software is using for 35% Transactional jobs and 65% for Promotional jobs in the world. It has around more than 6000 users in 30 countries. So we cant say that it is a begineer in this fied. You can read any type of line data hastle free. It could be XML line data, CSV or fixed length. Even it can read the data from Windows data server, ODBC. You can create various graphs, Barcode etc. And very cool feature of printnet is that you can create basic designs using shape tool and create rectangle, triange, stars. This will be very similar to Photoshop. Even you can write the script to create the more complex design.

It's wonderful!!

It's wonderful!!

I've been using PrintNet for a year now, i can say it's very very powerful not to say also is very intuitive. Here in my company there is no work at the moment that couldn't be done, also supports plugins like DirecType wich is very helpful, as before said, it has many ways of treating and preparing data, presenting it, postprocessing the layouts created.

I'm very happy with it and had no previous experience nor learning course (The Manual is great!)

Need help with PrintNet T Designer

Need help with PrintNet T Designer

Hi GMH,

I've heard you are an expert in PrintNet T Designer.
We are going to buy the product and we have some testing at the moment.

We have a problem printing 3 xA4 pages document , 2 Up on A3 paper.
The document has to be printed first and second pages duplex and last page simplex.
Suppose we have 4 records. When we do NS splitter, we get on printer : Record #1 on left side, record #3 on right side - which is correct. However the second set prints record #4 on left and record #2 on right side - which is not correct.
Could you Please advise what are right settings to setup that type of job
Thank you in advance
EJB

DesignMerge VDP Software

DesignMerge VDP Software

Greetings,

I agree that support for a product is an essential element for your success. Our support staff, all seasoned print veterans, are second to none!! If you need to call us for support (USA based), you will get the assistance you need to get a job out the door and keep your customers happy. Our software been serving the print and publishing industry for 20 years.

DesignMerge software can utilize the two most powerful and popular composition engines in the world, QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign. All of the composition features that you have grown accustomed to are fully supported by DesignMerge. Every aspect of the composition process, including kerning and letterspacing, hyphenation and justification, runarounds, multi-page composition, styling, tables, etc. are all available for you to use. You just take an existing document, and use DesignMerge to "Make It Variable". Your variable output will look just like you did File/Print for each individual data record.

Regards,
Greg Bane
DesignMerge Channel Manager
[email protected]

http://www.layersmagazine.com/designmerge-for-indesign.html

Hi ejb

Let me try to help you.

We have a problem printing 3 xA4 pages document , 2 Up on A3 paper.
The document has to be printed first and second pages duplex and last page simplex.
Suppose we have 4 records. When we do NS splitter, we get on printer : Record #1 on left side, record #3 on right side - which is correct. However the second set prints record #4 on left and record #2 on right side - which is not correct.

Do you mean that every record have 3 pages? or do you have 3 single-page records?
For the first case you should manage duplex like you are doing but you must pay attention to the Split type option in the NS Splitter. You should set up By group.
For the second case, you should remove the Duplex type and manage the duplex with an Imposition Script, directly in the printer or something like that.

If you have problems don't hesitate to contact me.

for Solution

for Solution

Hi pa_rider99,

I am Extremly Sorry that without you prior permision i mail you,
while i read your thread on this site so i want to ask you about the solution

i also post this as thread on this site but i am also mailing you

IN GMC SOFTWARE

i want to syntax of getName

i create a String Variable and want to show the current filename without any extention or path

Can you help me

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back