maintaining line breaks with Quark/YoursTruly

gkinnamon

Does anyone know how to get an embedded line break in .csv cell to work when the data is flowed into a Quark template using Yours Truly?

I have a field in my csv file that has a two line address, when I put it into Quark and preview it comes in as a single line. See the attached file.

Attachments

• matc_bc_vdpreview.jpg
    matc_bc_vdpreview.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 245
If you can go back to the Excel file (or whatever), you could add a column of dummy characters (~ or something like that) between the two columns where you're not getting the line break. Then in quark, find/replace the ~ with a soft return (^n).

Or you could just find/replace "street" with "street^n", then "Road" with "Road^n" etc.

If you can go back to the Excel file (or whatever), you could add a column of dummy characters (~ or something like that) between the two columns where you're not getting the line break. Then in quark, find/replace the ~ with a soft return (^n).

Or you could just find/replace "street" with "street^n", then "Road" with "Road^n" etc.

Thanks Rick,
The Quark file is a variable data template, so it won't actually contain the addresses to do a search/replace on, those get pulled in by the Indigo from the database file.

I just need Quark/Yours Truly to not strip the existing line break when it pulls in the data.
The addresses are in one column with two lines in each cell.

There's not much you can do about this directly in quark. You possibly could write a rule that adds a return in the middle of the string, but you'd be limited to a number of characters... I second RickWhiteman's advice. You're going to have to get into the database file somehow. Or get the creator of that to do the right thing and put each address element (Name, Address, City State, zip, etc) in its own column.

Regular Guy's experiments in www

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back