Printing for Bulk Mail

postnetnc133

We do small mailings for customers typically 50-100-300 nothing big but I would like to offer larger mailings 1000, 5000 in that ballpark. Depending on the order we could VDP directly onto the print as we are printing it using our Xerox 252 but in some cases we cant ie outsource postcards that are to thick to run through the 252, customers tri-folded brochures completed and tabbed and just needs the mailing addresses, already stuffed #10 envelopes. I am considering getting a printer just for mailings (secap, rena, etc) and wanted to know if there was anything to look out for or worry about.

Not sure if older printers are effected with the new postal changes if that even matters. Can i print directly to these printers or only through their software? If I can only print to the printer through their software does the software import the csv file or do I have to create a database within their software? Any advice or things to watch out for someone getting into this type of printing? I am not looking to get into bulk mailing big time but like I said smaller stuff and to do it more effeciently. I would be looking at a used printer not new.

Thanks

Look at Bulk mailer program made by satari. You will have to do an NCOA on any presorted mailing you do or the post office can bounce or penalize the mailing. Bulk mailer will generate all the paper work you need and allow you to print an exportable csv with bar codes along with tray numbers to help keep the mailing in order. Sorry cant help with the printer but be careful. Gloss stocks can be problematic for jet printers and more so if the stock has been coated. Envelope printing can be a problem or you may have to buy a label printer to print labels onto the printed pieces.

Satori's Bulk mailer will probably handle all your mailing needs.
The inkjet printers your looking at will work fine, if you deal with coated stock most of the printers have an inline dryer that work quite well. Extra $
However before you get carried away get yourself or someone in the shop to be Mail Quality certiified. Google Postal MQC for details. Also become friends with people at the local post office where you will be dropping your bulk mail. Yes I know the post office sucks but if you try to work around their system you will pay dearly both financially and explaining to your clients why their mail didn't drop when they wanted it to.
It's not rocket science, but attention to detail is required.

Take a look at Postage Saver at savepostage.com. It's designed for the lower volume mailings like you mention and costs a lot less than the others.

Take a look at Postage Saver at savepostage.com. It's designed for the lower volume mailings like you mention and costs a lot less than the others.

I use Postage Saver. Every morning while I'm drinking my coffee, I think to myself, "it's so awesome having software that doesn't cost a fortune." I just don't have the revenue to justify hundreds of dollars for a piece of software. I think the reason for the price differences is because Postage Saver does not have CASS software built in. I do the same volumes as you, you don't need CASS.

As for the printing, I thought of a Secap as well. They have a model that will print full color. If you find out some pricing, let me know. I just bought a DC252 for printing full bleed, heavy coverage postcards, but I still use my old Xante Ilumina for printing envelopes. Of course, it can't print already stuffed or window envelopes.

Riso has a full line of inkjet machines. They're pricey but fast.

If you want to get Automation rates by applying a PostNet or IMB Barcode. You will need to have your addresses CASS certified.

Also, if you claim any discount at First-Class Mail, Standard Mail, or Non-Profit. You must meet "Move Update" Requirements. This could be as simple as adding "Or Current Resident" but this makes your mail piece look more like Junk Mail.

A second option is to apply an Ancillary Service Endorsement such as "Return Service Requested" as long as the you mailed to the same address within the last 95 days. There is one problem with this method. You either have to mail to everyone at Full-Rate First Class with the Ancillary Service Endorsement prior to the discounted mailing or use another Pre-Mailing Move Update method such as NCOA.

The third and what I feel the best option is NCOA (National Change of Address). This method checks for Moves against the USPS database of Change of Address'. There are two service providers available. Full Service Provider (FSP) 48 Month database and Limited Service Provider (LSP) 18 month database. The USPS only requires you to run the LSP within 95 days of the mailing. But you can get more Moves and provide your customer with better service by using the FSP.

Great information. So far I have been lucky to do postcards/letter prints and mail merge at the same time. I have had a few cases where I had to farm out heavier stock postcards but then we cant print the mailing addresses directly onto them. From the research I found it sounds as if any of the Secap, Hasler, etc etc printers would work for the printing of the mailing addresses onto the finished product as long as there is no UV coating.

We tend to do more mailings for B2B verse residential mailings.

Last edited:
BCC works well, but for our 25M a year mailing operation, it runs us about $3 grand a year.

I've talked with our Rena dealer (we just bought three tabbing machines) and I think he had said it would be around $25K for a printer. We run a lot of coated stock and are running two VideoJet heads that are instantly dry on contact with coated paper and work just fine on uncoated. Your operators need to have some sense when running infrared dryers.

We also have Printegrity inkjets I'm about to yank out of our inserters to help our mail labeling operation. They use an HP type inkjet cartridge. Many of the more inexpensive inkjet offerings seem to do that. They also have different types of ink for differing stock applications.

As you're just entering this market, I'd recommend talking to a few local do-it-all mailing equipment dealers. We have a local one we deal with in the upstate NY area, who has been very helpful in steering us to the right applications and keeping us up to date on industry changes.

The mailing lists I get come CASS certified so I am not concerned there unless there is something I dont know to make me concerned.

I checked out postage saver and it looks like a really nice program and fairly cheap. For VDP I have been told by several to check out fusion pro. We primarily do 8.5x5.5 or 6x9 postcards and some times 4x6. For the postcards I print them on our Xerox 252 but I am checking out oki9650 or any of the newer oki lines. All I have been told handle envelopes so to speed up production my plan was to print the bulk on the xerox and then print the addresses on the oki or use the oki for those postcards we farm out on thicker stock that we can not do in house or UV coated stocks. Now the only thing with the oki verse a hasler/Secap/etc etc from what i read is that oki/xante/psi cant do thicker stocks where as most printers just for printing addresses for mailings can do thicker materials.

Does the USPS put on a lecture for bulk mailing to learn more in and outs?

How low can a standard mail get? I did 400 - 6x9 postcards at letter rate no barcode, used OR CURRENT OCCUPANT all were in one zip code and I got them for right around $.21/ $.22 each which i was happy. Not sure if all of the more work involved is worth it if I am only going to lower my costs by 1-3 pennies especially if I am doing smaller mailings.

You did about as good as you are going to get. 6x9 goes out at a letter rate instead of postcard rate. You might be able to drop a penny or two with a barcode and running it automated. This from the USPS which is a cut and paste

Doing the least amount of work, the postage for a typical one-ounce letter (or card, tri-fold, etc.) would range from 21.3¢ to 27.3¢ using Standard Class, compared with 44¢ for regular First Class mail.

There are much greater discounts if you are a nonprofit organization and have received approval from the USPS to mail at nonprofit prices. The nonprofit price for the same piece of mail using Standard Class would range from 11.2¢ to 17.2&cent.

For example, adding barcodes to your addresses would save you anywhere from as much as 2.3¢ per piece, if you have at least 150 pieces going to the same 5-digit zip code, to as little as only 0.3¢ per piece, if you don't. To add barcodes, you must have a perfect 9-digit zip code for every address. To do that, you either need to buy expensive software to verify your zip codes, or you need to send your list to an online zip code service. Either way, you quickly eat up the extra savings unless you are mailing thousands of pieces or your mailing is concentrated within a few zip codes.

I think Printable makes a software product that is not too expensive for this. I apologize for not recalling the specific product name, but you can call them up and ask.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back