Which digital press should I purchase?

dreambuilders

We are looking at all options for a digital press and I am looking for suggestions based on our specific need.

We are looking to print post cards mostly 4 color back and front , 200k-500k monthly, Variable data, several designs of postcards at all different quantities.

What I am looking for is which system will allow us to print our postcards in 1 run and not separate our jobs into single projects, or runs.

Please reply with your suggestions I greatly appreciate all feedback from users of different systems. I am not looking for anyones opinion on a system that has not used that specific system.

I had the same question back in 2006 and came to the following conclusion...

If you will be running between 200K-500K monthly then you can automatically rule out the smaller lines such as a Xerox 700, 5000, or 7000 as well as any Konica, Cannon, Toshiba machines etc. These machines cannot handle that volume.

This leaves you with three major options. You may purchase an HP Indigo, Xerox iGen, or a Kodak Nexpress. I came to the conclusion that the HP Indigo was the best fit. It prints smoother than the other three and the list of stocks that is certified is big and continues to grow (RIT Printing Applications Laboratory). If you can buy folio size sheets and trim them down it will save you a lot of money. Don't just look at click charges, look at the substrates too. I ended up buying two of them, a HP 5000 in 2006 and a HP 5500 in 2008 and I am really happy.

If you are going to print a lot of postcards you may want to look into a UV coater. I purchased it from Tec Lighting (Tec Lighting) and bought a 25" model so I can also coat half size sheets from our 40" press.

I hope this helps you... I run a lot of postcards too. My customers are very happy!

We use an iGen3 and I imagine it would handle your needs very well. We print quite a bit on 20.5x14.333 sheets in either a gloss cover or a C1S, which I imagine would be the same paper you would use.

You can use PPML when creating your jobs to swap paper type part, and include slipsheets, thus allowing you to print a massive 200k+ page variable job. The RIP time on the iGen is good when your document is around 200 dpi color photographs - much higher than that and it can slow down significantly.

If you plan to be ripping massive variable files, make sure you get the hard drive to match in your digital press.

Hey, folks. Are these digital devices color toner or inkjet? what is the sheetsize specs and colour range? Also, what might be the ROI?

What size are the postcards? If you are running 200K to 500K postcards then I assume you will run them multiple up on a 12 x 18, 13 x 19 or larger. This could reduce your overall run lengths enormously. The MGI Meteor DP60 digital press has a low gloss toner that gives you an offset look, like the HP but without the pricetag as it is rated at 600K per month. It also has a .2mm register sheet to sheet, which is important when cutting your postcards down to a finished size on a guillotine. Many of the lower end digital devices cannot hold consistent register.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back