Bad email habits you need to break

Armya Inc

Bad email habits you need to break

Do a search online and you’ll find endless resources on presentation skills. There are even books and seminars dedicated to perfecting the art of the presentation.

And yet, when it comes to the most basic workplace function – email – there has been considerably less written about it. Email is how we communicate at work. Good or bad, that’s here to stay. And yet I am constantly amazed at how many people are just not very good at it.

Want to stay on top of that pile of emails? Want to have your colleagues look forward to your emails, rather than dread them?

Here are some of the worst email habits you should try and avoid.

Not reading it twice.

It’s the golden rule – just don’t be sloppy. You wouldn’t believe the number of emails I get that have clearly not been read twice. Words will be forgotten, emails can be read repeatedly. It takes mere seconds to make sure what you’ve said actually makes sense. Don’t be lazy, just do it. Proofread.

Deleting the email thread.

I know people have the best of intentions with this one. You want to keep things clean and concise, and I applaud you for that. But generally people receive a lot of emails in the run of day. Keeping the thread attached to the bottom of your email allows people to quickly reference what you’re talking about. It’s not that we can’t find the previous email for reference…but why make things more difficult?

Using unnecessary words.

I know that writing a clear, concise paragraph isn’t everybody’s forte. But consider it an investment in your career to learn how to condense what you`re trying to say. Not sure what I mean? Here’s an example:

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, or if you need further clarification on any issues, and I’ll be happy to send over the appropriate materials at a time of my earliest convenience, or to set up a meeting for us to discuss an appropriate course of action for your concerns.

What did you gain from reading that paragraph? Nothing. Always make sure there is an actual purpose for every paragraph you include. And if you’ve written more than 6 paragraphs, consider consolidating your information into another form as an attachment, or going back and reviewing what you’ve said. Nobody wants to read a novella in email form.

CC’ing unnecessary people.

We`ve talked about this before. Choose wisely, and be ruthless with who you include. Once you become known as that person who adds in everybody to an email thread people will start dreading your name in their inbox. And you don’t want to be that person, do you?

Not prioritizing answers.

I’m a believer that everybody has their own way of prioritizing and responding to emails. You can do whatever you want – but you do need a system. Otherwise it will all get lost in the shuffle. Maybe you need to separate external client emails from internal ones, and respond to customer needs first. It really depends on your field, as well as your personal working style.

Personally, I respond to small questions right away (or else I might forget), and assume that larger requests have no expectation of an immediate response. I also dedicate some time on Friday afternoons to go through my inbox, sort and file accordingly, and make sure nothing fell through the cracks for the week.

Not every email is of equal importance, and you should respond to them all accordingly.

Sending an email and immediately following up with a phone call.

Why on earth do people do this? The digital age has us so spoiled that we expect an instant response from someone. There’s nothing worse than someone asking, “Did you get my email?”…when they sent it 5 minutes ago.

Christina Bruce

Thanks Farshad!

But can I add another golder rule:

Structure your email in a coherent way.

For example, if your subject is "Bad email habits" and you actually list those habits - as well as elaborate on each of them, then you need to mark and separate every such habit one way or another. Because otherwise your email is hard to follow.

Here's an example how to improve your email:

=====

-Not reading it twice.

It’s the golden rule – just don’t be sloppy. You wouldn’t believe the number of emails I get that have clearly not been read twice <...>

-Deleting the email thread.

I know people have the best of intentions with this one. You want to keep things clean and concise, and I applaud you for that <...>

-Using unnecessary words.

I know that writing a clear, concise paragraph isn’t everybody’s forte. But consider it an investment in your career to learn how to condense <...>

====

If you post on a forum, you can also use various text attributes (which isn't always advisable in an email as you don't know if they'll actually get through on the other end):

=====

• Not reading it twice.

It’s the golden rule – just don’t be sloppy. You wouldn’t believe the number of emails I get that have clearly not been read twice <...>

• Deleting the email thread.

I know people have the best of intentions with this one. You want to keep things clean and concise, and I applaud you for that <...>

• Using unnecessary words.

I know that writing a clear, concise paragraph isn’t everybody’s forte. But consider it an investment in your career to learn how to condense <...>

====

Cheers,
Leo

Thanks Farshad!

But can I add another golder rule:

Structure your email in a coherent way.

For example, if your subject is "Bad email habits" and you actually list those habits - as well as elaborate on each of them, then you need to mark and separate every such habit one way or another. Because otherwise your email is hard to follow.

Here's an example how to improve your email:

=====

-Not reading it twice.

-Deleting the email thread.

-Using unnecessary words.

====

If you post on a forum, you can also use various text attributes (which isn't always advisable in an email as you don't know if they'll actually get through on the other end):

=====

• Not reading it twice.

• Deleting the email thread.

• Using unnecessary words.

====

Cheers,
Leo
Good point, but This isn't an E-mail ; This is a thread. It is also hard to follow an article in the newspaper. They wouldn't bold the subtitles for you to make it easy to read.
:confused::confused::D

Last edited:
These rules don't apply to sales people right? Because most of the emails I've been subjected to from that side are damn near incomprehensible and many look like they're written by a Kindergarten child. It's embarrassing to imagine what clients think of a company based on those emails. :eek:

I know you all know this, but, I think it deserves to be brought up again at this point.

When you type in all caps, IT IS THE EMAIL EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING AT THE RECIPIENT.

When you do this, the recipient may get the wrong idea that you are upset.

Readability !

Readability !

Farshad,

Clearly you didn't take notice of my Email, Legibility,Readability: The Optimal Line Length

So dear Emailers, remember -

" In order to avoid drawbacks of too long too short lines, but still energize

your readers and keep them engaged, we suggest keep it with the range of -

50-75 characters per line." from Typography

Regards, Alois

Farshad,

Clearly you didn't take notice of my Email, Legibility,Readability: The Optimal Line Length

Regards, Alois

50 to 70 character will take 2 pages of this forum for such a lenghty thread. You made your point. We got the message. Take care!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not sure if I agree with attatchment over 6 paragraphs (don't know I write that many). But I find it irritating to have unnecessary attatchments when it could just have been included in the body of the email.

That's true, but unfortunately it's not always under control of the email composer - just like on this forum.

The only thing that's under control is the window width of the person reading the email (or other text on the Internet).

So a good advice to readers is to reduce the window width if the text spans across the entire page - like this forum or Wikipedia, for example.

It will greatly help increase the text readability, go through it easier and comprehend better.

Farshad,

Regards, Alois

I had one person who would always send me an email, then print it out and hand me a hard copy! Uh... thanks? If I wanted a hard copy, I could have printed one myself.

Regarding line length... I have communicated with several people who think long wide lines are too difficult to read. In most email clients (although may not apply to webmail) it's easy enough to make your email window narrower, and the text will wrap around and reflow automatically. When I have tried to teach these people about that, they make their email window narrow, then they type new emails in it pressing Enter at the end of every line as if it were a typewriter. Looks good to them, but won't properly reflow for those of us comfortable reading the width of our choosing.

And please, try not to intermingle texting abbreviations in a business email.

It's so un-professional

"What's wrong with ur printer? Have u tried connecting the network cable
2 the ethernet board?. Try that 2-nite after the shop closes."

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back