TechGirlz Helps Reduce Female Gender-Gap in Technology Careers

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Forbes has reported that just 1 in 7 engineers are female, and girls opt out of science and math-related careers in middle school, according to studies.

Helping solve this gender gap is TechGirlz–an interesting 501(c)3 nonprofit that fosters a love for technology in middle school girls–since 2010, providing fun oriented, educational, hands-on workshops & summer camp called TechShopz.

These TechShopz Workshops are cost free & designed to teach girls about different kinds of technology careers, letting them interact with tech professionals & be involved in technical projects. To date, volunteer instructors in 10 states & 4 countries have taught more than 5,000 girls.

To learn more, visit their site.

CAUTION: social justice point of view straight ahead

While in grade school, home economics was part of my school's curriculum. I wasn't much interested, and frankly, I wasn't very good at it. Most, but not all of the boys would rather be elsewhere. My teachers suggested that I stick to sports, at which I excelled. To me, that still makes sense today. Didn't seem unfair. As a parent I encourage my children to further their engagement in fields of their interest.

Good for you TechGirlz. More power to ya!

However I note, in the past several decades, so many endeavors appeal to social fairness. So I ask: are fair and equal synonymous?

Amazing that there is no organization to solve the gender gap in the teaching field. Or they are not trying to advocate more women into the street repair or sewage repair workforce to right the imbalance. We need to stop dividing people by race, gender and everything else. By only promoting a certain gender makes this group sexist by definition.

WOW.... click the link!!! What a bunch of crap.... their website says "Empowering Girls" and the headline photo is a couple of girls forced to wear oppressive hijabs. WOW the irony is THICK with this organization.

Hmmmm, and I was concerned that my comment could be perceived politically incorrect.

Kringle, thanks for deflecting the attention. :rolleyes:

How could calling for an end to racism, sexism or oppression be construed as "politically incorrect"? Don't let the oppressors censor your thought or honest commentary.

The truth is always correct.

I can hear it now:

"Why are we learning about this? This is dumb."

"I don't know. My mom said something about more girls needing to pursue STEMs or something. Something about proving my Dad wrong."

True equality does not have organizations trying to force jobs, organizations, whatever into having a certain amount of each colour, sex, and orientation. Hire the best person for the job, regardless of who they are and where they come from. No one seems interested in the gender disparity in the nursing profession, or garbage collection.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back