Book printing -> format vs price vs qty

Shaare

Greetings,

My kids are writing a book, believe it or not, and I'm very happy for them. It's a travel guide and over the last few months as the thing grew and grew I started to realize they were serious.
And they want me to get it printed, eventually.

What I need advice on is where to start in order to educate myself concerning the printing part.
What format cost how much based on what quantity?
Is a 12x12 coffee table book 2X, 10X more expensive that a letter sized?
How do I get an ISBN for them?
Who does special covers where there's a shape (3d to it) and other fancy stuff?

For sure I'll need to print a few copies at least.
This will good for their resume, for university applications etc.

Any advice links etc. is of course very welcomed.

Thank you kindly,

Greetings,

My kids are writing a book, believe it or not, and I'm very happy for them. It's a travel guide and over the last few months as the thing grew and grew I started to realize they were serious.
And they want me to get it printed, eventually.

What I need advice on is where to start in order to educate myself concerning the printing part.
What format cost how much based on what quantity?
Is a 12x12 coffee table book 2X, 10X more expensive that a letter sized?
How do I get an ISBN for them?
Who does special covers where there's a shape (3d to it) and other fancy stuff?

For sure I'll need to print a few copies at least.
This will good for their resume, for university applications etc.

Any advice links etc. is of course very welcomed.

Thank you kindly,

That's a really good question. I've got a friend in a similar situation. Looking forward to seeing responses to this.

I found find a local printer and go in and have a sit down with them. Talk about what you want and listen to what they have to say from their experience. There is no universal price, print shops will very, some will be desperate for work and might give you a better deal over someone else just to get something in. Always helps if you have a sample of what you like or what you are wanting to achieve.

You are only wanting to print a few copies? Why would you bother with ISBN if you are just printing a handful of books for friends or family? Generally your costs per book are much higher when doing such low volumes.

Google is your friend. I did a simple google search and found this site at the top
https://selfpublishingadvice.org/isbns-for-self-published-books/

Gives you a few options in the link for your ISBN number.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back