MDC versus MDP

Keith

I'm looking at both of these certifications - Mailpiece Design Consultant offered by MSMA (Mail Systems Management Association) and Mail Design Professional offered by USPS (United States Postal Service). Which one is "better"? Or more accepted in the industry? They are both online courses with open-book tests. The only real differences I see are the MDC certificate offered by MSMA is twenty dollars less than the MDP and 10% harder (requires a 90% to pass versus the USPS' MDP requirement of 80%). I've been doing direct mail since 2009 and have studied the material for the MDC exam but never got around to taking the exam. Now I'm looking to get that little piece of paper and stumbled upon the MDP offered by the post office.

Did you get your MDC yesterday?

Mailpiece Design Consultant (MDC) Professional Certification will be offered at the Spring MAILCOM in Philadelphia April 9-11, 2018.

MAILCOM and MSMA have teamed up to provide an amazing opportunity when you attend MAILCOM ‘18 in Philadelphia, PA. MDC Certification focuses on classes of mail, mailpiece design, commercial mail preparation/requirements and extra services, and is a great opportunity for you to add even more value to your organization… along with a new certification to your resume!

The MDC Session & Exam will be held on Monday, April 9, 2018, (8:00am-1:00pm) . Following a review session, you’ll have the opportunity to immediately take the open-book exam! The fee for this event is $70 for MSMA members and $85 for non-MSMA members and includes the review session, refreshments and the exam.

Thanks Shawn. I did see that Sunday night but I already had a busy schedule Monday morning so I couldn't make it. Which sucks because Philly is an easy drive from here. Takes less than an hour. Do you know anything about the certifications in the field? Meaning, how much weight is given to them. I would think the MDC offered by MSMA would be "better" since it requires a passing score of 90%, which is 10% higher than the MDP offered by USPS. I guess that probably answers my question.

We went with the MDP, but really it was just for us to make sure we are doing things right, it has not helped us get any jobs.

We went with the MDP, but really it was just for us to make sure we are doing things right, it has not helped us get any jobs.

I've been in the mailing industry for over 40 years, and, could probably pass the exam without attending any classes or seminars. Over the years, many times I've had to correct the USPS on some of their decisions by quoting chapter and verse from their own DMM, and then sitting down and explaining to them their own regulations. When the USPS has a question about the legality of a mail piece, or, the validity of it's preparation, and, they can't get in touch with their own Mail Design analysts, they will usually call me.

At the end of the day (geeze, I said I'd never use that phrase), your customer will not know, or care, whether you are an MDC, or, an MDP, so, if you're getting the certification in hopes of lending legitimacy to your operation, and, thereby increase your business, save your money. If, like Shawnd, you're getting the certification to make sure you are on the right track with regard to postal design, preparation, and regulations, then, either certification will do, and, is probably a good investment.

Just like Shawn, I'm looking to the certification to make sure I understand all the regulations and postal design. Most of it I am already familiar with. Thank you for the response.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back