Color-Logic Donates Photo Software to Ryerson

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Color Logic has donated more than 150 copies of their Touch7 Photo ECG software to Toronto-based Ryerson University, for use in the School of Graphic Communications Management, color management curriculum. Ryerson offers the only 4-year degree program in Canada, focused on printing & graphic communications.

Ryerson Professor Christopher Smyth commented: “Touch7 has a clear, user-friendly interface, and Color-Logic's generous support provides students with an excellent opportunity to develop hands-on knowledge with extended color gamut projects”.

According to Color-Logic’s Mark Geeves, "The Ryerson program provides students with hands-on workflow & color management experience. Experience with Touch7 Photo ECG software will enable the graduates to step immediately into technology positions in the packaging & commercial printing industry".

It might be useful for the students to learn how to do the extended gamut separations themselves using Photoshop. Although not automated it’s faster and more flexible to do it manually and the students’ understanding of separations - regular and extended gamut - would benefit greatly by the experience.

Last edited:
Hey Gordo,

I hope you're doing fine.

I agree your assumption even if I doubt people have such time and knowledge to do so nowadays.
I saw, the last past years, a lot of missing skills in the prepress field especially due to the automation.
I don't know who or what to blame.
But, so far, time is money, and today company may prefer invest in software rather than clever and well trained employees…

Best.
Axel

valaxedo A learning environment like Ryerson is not a production environment. By learning/figuring out how to do extended gamut separations using Photoshop the students will learn a lot about separations, color, and production. They’ll also learn how to evaluate software solutions. Those skills are worth having whether the students decide to use the software tools like Touch7 or not in their post education careers in production.

Good point indeed, Gordo.
Colleges and university are obviously the ideal place to learn the basics and the deeper technical aspects.

But IMHO, I also too often saw dedicated donated software solution in these fields.
And I confess I don't know what to think about it.

Is it better or worse for the students to learn specific automated tools or traditional skills?
Today, the companies are maybe most interested by good software technical users instead having clever workers.

But in the same time, both would be possible, don't you think?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back