"This Is Ed" collection from Stora Enzo.

kabel

If you can still get them, a great resource for beginners in print design and production is the "This Is Ed" collection from Stora Enzo.

http://www.storaenso.com/CDAvgn/main/0,,1_EN-2023-2033-,00.html
(Ed#1 - Ed#9)

The series covers a lot of ground including how to use and what to expect with metallic inks, various varnishes, embossing & foil stamping as well as all the things to check before sending your file to the press press department.

+I am not affiliated with or gain anything from stora enzo by mentioning this, I just think this series is a good education source of information.+

Re: "This Is Ed" collection from Stora Enzo.

I agree - in addition to Stora Enso's "Ed" series, Domtar produced "Answer Packs" and International Paper put out "Via Basics" (which may or may not now be available from Mohawk). All of them provide good basic information (and lots of it) about the printing process, complete with diagrams, samples, and real-life situations. These are not just good for beginners, but are great reference tools for all of us seasoned pros as well.

Anyone else have other suggestions for print guides?

Thanks! This is great material for someone trying to learn about lithography. As someone relatively new to printing and unfamiliar with litho the last few months have been an experience in learning but I'm starting to get there.

I currently work in a fexible packaging company reverse printing on clear film using gravure but am trying to help our local tech school put a printing program together and felt that a CTP litho system would be more useable to the school than a small gravure press. Any advice that anyone on this site has for equipment, ink systems/supplier, pre-press and trim/bind (machines and/or suppliers) would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to stay as enviromentally and "kid" friendly as possible with chemistry and process so I'm looking at platesetters for as small a format 2 color press as practical. Their not printing a newspaper but we'd like them to be able to print their own play/sports programs, posters for fundraisers etc.

If there are any educators in the audience who have developed this type of tech program your feedback is also GREATLY appreciated!

I have been looking for a great way to introduce new sales people to printing and all the ins and outs of printing. While they will not be handling pre-press I thing they should have a firm grasp on how stuff works before they try to sell it. I tried to follow the link but I'm getting an error page. Any ideas?

Rick Elwood
Sales Manager
Sac Digital - [Full Color Printing|http://sacdigital.com]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back