CTP Processor Chemical Waste Options?

We're currently operating the Glunz and Jensen Raptor Pro 86 S Processor in our prepress department. In the past we've had Safety-Kleen come and pick up the waste and dispose of it, however I'm told by our dealer that the chemical waste water can be sent down the drain so long as we are hooked up to a sewer line. We are considering having a commercial plumber come in and run a straight line out from the filtration system to the sewer for disposal. I'm hesitant to do this until I have some assurance that disposing of the waste this way is not in violation of the Clean Water Act or any other such EPA regulation. Can anyone recommend what steps need to be taken to meet compliance either locally or nationally?

Re: CTP Processor Chemical Waste Options?

We run our waste water from our wash straight down the drain which is no problem in the UK. We still pay for the removal of our waste developer though. I had a visit from a company that can put a system in that recycles your dev and they had a separate unit that could neutralise your waste dev so that you could dispose of that down the drains. The problem was they the cost was 18p pr litre plus the intitial set up charges, electricity to run it etc We only pay around 12p for the removal so it wasn't viable.

this will vary depending on where you live and what the local requirements are. I would contact your sewer department and see if they have any documented standards.

you can also run your waste developer through a neutralizing unit which can bring down the PH.

Thanks folks. I'm going to get in touch with the county today and have them come out and check out or situation. I'll post it back here in case anyone is interested.

I'm in Dallas, Texas and use the same processor - with violet plates & chemistry.

There is a unit that has been installed on all of these particular processors - through Heidelberg called a ProCam. It consists of a ProWash unit - which filters the water from the wash section, back into the centerfuge - until the water is drained. This filter is changed every 60 to 90 days, depending on use and removes the "gel" from the centerfuge so that water changes are less frequent, there is less foaming, and the filter change(s) at the ProCam are less frequent. The ProCam unit itself is a plastic container into which all chemistry and water flow. Included is a probe which measure the acid / pH of the contents of the tank. A neutralizing solution is added to the tank through a pump - as needed - to bring the contents to neutral - only then will the contents be pumped out of the tank through a cotton filter - then a paper filter and finally a sand filter before going out the buildings drain system.

The fluid coming out the last hose is a light yellow color and safe for the city sewer line. The most frequently changed filter is the first small filter on the ProCam - I average a change here every 3 to 4 weeks. The paper filter on the wall is good for about 3 months and the sand filter for 6 months.

There is a system out there that uses citric acid to nullify the developer.
In theory you can then pour down the drain, I would check with the EPA first though.

Plus you prepress stinks of oranges........

who do you use

who do you use

We run our waste water from our wash straight down the drain which is no problem in the UK. We still pay for the removal of our waste developer though. I had a visit from a company that can put a system in that recycles your dev and they had a separate unit that could neutralise your waste dev so that you could dispose of that down the drains. The problem was they the cost was 18p pr litre plus the intitial set up charges, electricity to run it etc We only pay around 12p for the removal so it wasn't viable.

Hello I am in midlands, wondered who you use for the disposal of the ctp dev

thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back