What is Prryolidone?

When will the suppliers ever stop playing games. Many times I am ashamed to even be associated with this industry. Just about when you see hope for cleaner chemistry another item appears. There are a few bright spots in chemical suppliers and when i say a few I mean 2.

There are just way way too many associations and groups that worry about their own well being and ability to collect fees and member dues. This covers all aspects from green power, forrest management, carbon offsets, consumables, green labeling and the list is almost endless. Now some of these groups are worth their salt but they also are far and few between.
We are all human beings and if a governing body or regulatory group banded or severely limited the use of a chemical wouldn't it behove us to think that this would be beneficial to all mankind and not just the particular local or country where the restrictions are enforced.

What do you think can be done to unify many of these certifying entities into a central body that can have meaning and recognition world wide.

Couldn't agree more!! I'm positive that the governing bodies must be in bed with the large chemical manufacturers or at least sponsored heavily.
They are of the opinion that the the overall environmental impact from the use of the current chemicals is minimal when compared to other industries.

I have rang every single current chemical supplier in Australia with a requirement list for the main chemicals used day in day out
Every single one of them said " There are no such chemicals available and it wouldn't work"
I call bullshit! I have tried products that are not available in Aus that meet and exceed my requirement list and they work!

The problem is Australia is a wash of a host of bottom rock priced inks & chemicals it is near on impossible to compete with a dearer product, no matter what benefits they have.

Is there a reason that some chemical manufacturers have not put their products forward for fogra approval ?

Is it the cost involved or that some of the alternate chemicals would not be approved by fogra ?

Lukew

What do you think is tested and looked at in a Fogra test?

I've always thought in was mainly corrosion & issues that may arrise from certain chemicals. We do not have a German manufactured machine so have had no need to look into it indepth.
If it is cost related the reason why manufactures don't submit their product for fogra approval, I would have thought the lost revenue from not being able to sell their product to companies who need fogra aproved products would be far greater over the life cycle of their operation.
http://www.fogra.org/approvals/washes/washes_info/t-wash+clean_agents_sheetfed.pdf

I have just completed reading http://www.fogra.org/approvals/washes/washes_info/i-washes.pdf . Looks as if Fogra is coming over from the dark side and joining the force. Would all of the washes previously certified be grandfathered in or will they have to be recertified? It would be very confusing to have old standards and new to determine what is up to date. This is a major change and I think that all of the previous washes should have to go through the new certification.
In the USA if the PIA would apply similar rules to their Sustainable Green Printing program I think it would give them a very big boost.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back