Plastic waste

How many of you print on plastic? Do you ever consider what happens to your printed produtct.. The National Geographic Society is starting a progrom Planet or Plastic.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/planetorplastic/

Paper decomposes plastic usually does not.

It's not the printer's printed product - it's the brand owner's.

In any case, I think it's too late - we're doomed as per this thread on the topic: https://printplanet.com/forum/what-you-think/the-lounge/275064-this-is-why-we-re-doomed

Just burn the stuff. Burn it properly and get some energy out of it.

Last edited:
Burning it ”properly” doesn’t appear to be a solution: http://www.ntn.org.au/wp/wp-content/...a-bad-idea.pdf

]

Apparently, incineration is working quite well in Sweden. Of course it needs to be done properly. To assume that there is no proper way to do it is self limiting. How do they now get rid of medical waste and hazardous materials? It is often incinerated.

There is no perfect solution to waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, incineration is working quite well in Sweden. Of course it needs to be done properly. To assume that there is no proper way to do it is self limiting. How do they now get rid of medical waste and hazardous materials? It is often incinerated.

There is no perfect solution to waste.

As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I don’t think you can compare medical waste to plastic packaging. Product packaging can be redesigned to eliminate much of the issues related to plastic polution - it’s just not a brand owner priority.

The problems I ran into with plastics recycling in a large format print shop mostly had to do with purity of the waste, and the value of the recycled waste. With oil prices low, there is less money to be made recycling plastics. Many of the materials we used were recyclable, but only on their own. Is there laminate/adhesive on it? don't want it. One product we used claimed to be fully recyclable, PS foam with a styrene face board. Nope, mixed materials. The few materials we could keep pure, and that had value, they wanted at least half a truckload before they would pick it up. So, I agree that incineration is not the best way to dispose of waste, however, until there is an incentive and ability to recycle these materials, incineration is the preferred alternative to landfill.

Had a csutomer and his son come in after lunch at a locale establishment. The son ordered a hamburger and fries. He reached for the ketchup bottle which was made of glass. He squeezed the bottle and nothing happened NO Ketchup. The boy's father took the glass bottle of ketchup and showed him the proper way to hit the bottom to get the ketchup. The boy was about 10 years old and never has seen a glass ketchup bottle.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back