Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU do?

A recent post at [PrintCEOblog|http://printceoblog.com/2007/09/envi...ustainability] has had me thinking this week about what I do at our shop to reduce our footprint. To be honest, not much. We recycle like most other shops but even that we don't take full advantage of. I still see a lot of paper going into the trash.

What resources are out there to help a small shop reduce their overall impact? I think the key with a small shop like ours it to start small and slowly add things into your day to day procedures.

I came across this [checklist at pneac.org|http://www.pneac.org/sheets/all/checklist.cfm] It's over 10 years old but most of it still applies to us.

So, what do YOU do to help reduce the impact your company has on the environment?

Re: What do YOU do?

Nice post Cory, seems related to Forest Stewardship, which we got into because of client demand.
    http://www.fsc.org/en/

Comment

We're looking into becoming FSC CoC (Chain of Custody) certified as a result of client demand, is that the route you undertook? Ive only briefly looked at the paperwork, and found it a bit confusing.

Comment

yes, pretty much, and definately client driven like ISO really.
        Biggest deal for prepress is getting the logo and approval, really affects turnaround... like add DAYS. And you can't just keep logos on hand apparently, so there we are.

Comment

My company is Green Crazy right now, attempting at FSC CoC (Chain of Custody) certification.

Its a little bit rediculous actually. My office window looks out onto the press floor, within 20 feet I can see are approximately 15 bins of variety for recycling.
          Theres a different one for everything, paper, corrugated, reg ink, metal ink, soy ink, unprinted paper, glass, plastic, alumnium, misc trash.

There is a sign posted every 15 feet on the walls, on each bin, over each bin, on the back of every bathroom door, including stall doors, and a massive vinyl banner hanging over one of the longest shop walls.

Signs in every room telling you to turn off the lights if you arent in the room, all computer equipment to be turned off at night, airconditioners up to 85, print both sides of junk faxes or copier missprints, or padding sheets of fax paper into homemade postit notes.

One thing I was suprised at was to find out about "hidden usage" from our consultant. Open ended devices that run "hot" even when not in use, just from being plugged in.

Such as powerstrips, cell phone chargers, ipod docks, laptop docks and chargers. Vaccuum frames. Plate processers.

I think its great in Idea, but everyday the 6 bins in the lunchroom are full of food and trash as if nobody but management gives a bleep about being "Green:.

Comment

quote: One thing I was suprised at was to find out about "hidden usage" from
            our consultant. Open ended devices that run "hot" even when not in use,
            just from being plugged in.

Funny, I thought my grandma was nuts 30 years ago when she professed this! Go figure, she was right.

Comment

> {quote:title=Miztrezzz wrote:}{quote}
              > Signs in every room telling you to turn off the lights if you arent in the room, all computer equipment to be turned off at night, airconditioners up to 85, print both sides of junk faxes or copier missprints, or padding sheets of fax paper into homemade postit notes. :.

I'm always a bit suspicious when I hear consultants advise people to turn off computer equipment at night, given that [rebooting is one of the most energy-hungry processes a PC performs|http://www.techreviewer.com/viewpage.cfm/pi/29] . Turning off monitors nightly is a step in the right direction, though, and turning off peripherals makes sense.

I like the ideas behind being "green" a lot, and try to be conscious of how I operate, but I think some of its advocates can't see the forest for the trees (npi). Printing on both sides of junk faxes and copier misprints may save paper, but re-using paper this way can cause other problems (paper jams making repairs necessary, buying higher-moisture/coated papers to avoid the jams, et al.) It's like the debate about paper plates - if you use them, you're consuming paper, but if you use traditional tableware and wash them, you're using water...which is more eco-friendly in the long run?

I'm definitely going to start recycling used paper into notepads, though!
              -
              Jack

Comment

I have not bought one yet, but a customer of mine makes pellet machines. used to make pellets out of any thing. In our case paper. then buy a pellet burning stove. almost free heat.

Comment

ISO 14001, FSC, SFI and EPA Green Power Certified
                  Zoned and controlled high-efficiency heating and cooling system
                  Electricity from 100% wind generated sources
                  Recycle about 12 million lbs. of paper annually and about 20 tons of aluminum
                  Use only earth-friendly soy and other inks
                  UV inks eliminate VOCs into our environment
                  All presses are equipped with ink monitoring devices to reduce waste by 30%
                  50% of ink is recycled; 50% converted into energy efficient fuels
                  Solvents incinerated to destroy 95% of VOCs
                  Inks are blended in-house to minimize waste
                  Central location and careful logistical planning reduces carbon footprint
                  Monitor drainage systems to protect groundwater from solvents and other pollutants
                  Constantly seeking new ways to be greener

**that's what is in our Green Book.**

Comment

FSC certification - going green

I am just starting to research and develop the FSC Chain of Custody for my company. Anyone have any tips or information? Would like to see a sample from another printer to use as a guideline if anyone is willing to share.

Edited by: Elaine Neiss on May 19, 2008 11:43 AM

Comment

Re: FSC certification - going green

be sure to check out the Going Green section at WhatTheyThink, lots of good info with case studies and white papers. Feel free to email Gail if you have questions as well, she can point you in the right direction
                      http://sections.whattheythink.com/environment/
                      gail@whattheythink.com

Comment

Re: FSC certification - going green

Thanks for the information. Explored that site yesterday and found it quite helpful.

Comment

I'm just starting the FSC Chain of Custody certification and found it confusing as well. How's it going for you now?

Comment

We're going the FSC route, also. The devil seems to be in the
                            details, and in producing the right sized check to become certified.

Comment

I'm at the beginning stages of writing the material. What kind of system does your print shop do as far as labeling stock and keeping it separate from non FSC papers? Space is always an issue and haven't figured out yet what will work best.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBAUltimate
                              4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph ExpoLabelexpoKBAKBASmartsoft (Presswise)Chili publish4 Pees

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3612 users online. 89 members and 3523 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X