moving preferences from mac to mac

tbowat

Is it possible to take preferences from one mac and move to another? (such as the dock, tablet...) We have different OS 10.4.11 and 10.6.6.

This is why I'm asking; We are logging into our mac using AD credentials with local home folders. When I need to switch macs for the day (because of our software limitations...) my normal settings aren't there (of course) and it is a pain to redo your dock, print styles, so on... We have tried to have the home folder on the server and it is just not working with our current config. Does anyone have a way that would be easy to switch macs keeping the operators settings, still using AD credentials?

Thanks

It is possible to take preferences from one machine to another, you would simply need to copy the relevant plist files to the /Users/Library/Preferences folder for each user. To get access the users Library folder you will need to log in as root. Alternatively, if you have a lot of machines then a mac mini server would be ideal, you would use Workgroup Manager (part of OS X Server) to manage the preferences at computer group level. I would not recommend network home folders though, there is a tick box in the AD plugin (in Directory Utility) to force local home folders. If you don't want to purchase a server you can also run Workgroup Manager locally on each machine, create a Computer Group, add the local machine and apply preferences at that level. They will then carry across to all users. Finally, if you are competent at command line level then you can use DSCL from within the Terminal.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back