MAC networking...unheard of issue??

macdudeken

I have a pretty basic MAC network setup. One server with 2 workstations and a hub. all 10.6.7.... working great, except I seem to have a permissions issue that I can't figure out. If I create a new folder from either workstation on the server, this folder and the contents can't be overwritten from the other workstation. a quick workaround is to cmd-i the folder from the server (the folder is read-write) and apply to enclosed items. this makes the folder accessible to either workstation.

the share settings on each workstation look good?? what am I missing???

Thanks!

Check the permissions of the account you are using to connect to the server.
Also what server software is it?
How are you connecting?

p

file sharing is on.... everyone>read and write

none. just a hub connecting 2 workstations and a mac server.

How are you connecting?
just a hub connecting 2 workstations and a mac server.

On the server, review the ACL for the Share Point in Server Admin. Ensure that the group has read/write permissions.

the group is set to read/write on the server. I can read / write to the server from both workstations.

problem is if workstation 1 creates a new folder on the server, copies files to the folder, etc, there isn't a problem. the problem is if workstation 2 opens said folder and at that point, cannot copy/overwrite and files within that folder??

You will need to leave the POSIX permissions as default, create a group for your users and set an acl on the sharepoint for that group. You will get this problem when you only have POSIX permissions set.

file sharing is on.... everyone>read and write

none. just a hub connecting 2 workstations and a mac server.

How are you connecting?
just a hub connecting 2 workstations and a mac server.

Mac OS Server is the software. As mentioned check your group/user account permission settings. Try setting it to full control instead of read/write. You might have to proprigate the permissions on the share. Also there is a default workgroup account automatically setup when you create a share. Leave this alone.

I should have been more clear when I asked how. I meant are you mounting the volumes using the user accounts? Not guest. Using afp and not smb?.

Good luck, p

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear, Mac OS Server software is not used on this "server". this setup is simply 3 macs, all 10.6.7. all connected to a hub. 2 of the macs access files on the mac I call a server. technically, this isn't a server (with the OS server installed) it's more of a sudo server?? does this make sense?

I had nothing to do with setting this "network" up. I came across all of these issues once I set up a replacement mac workstation.... ugh.... should I simply buy OSX server and install it on the "server" mac???

Hi

So it sounds like you are using the build in File Sharing from the sharing panel. For a basic setup like this it can work. But it depends how you are connecting to this share folder from your other Macs. I suggest you create the same accounts you log into your Mac workstations, on the Mac which is the "server". Also check the permissions on the "server" mac under File Sharing and set all users for the particular folder to read & write.

Good luck

p

Or set the permissions of the shared folder to allow "everyone" full read/write access for that folder and any subfolders/contents.

happy Friday guys....
everyone has full read/write permissions from the "server" mac. I believe the problem lies within the new Imac workstation. by default, when a new folder is created FROM the imac ONTO the server mac, permissions of this folder are read only. this means if another operator opens this folder on the other mac, he is unable to do so. the ONLY workaround I have is for the operator to walk over to the mac server, cmd i, change permissions to read/write, apply to enclosed items, THEN we are good. This has never happened in all my years on the Mac.... yep, 15+ years....

Permissions on the Mac are really screwed up, its a PITA.. Windows does a much better job at this stuff.

I'm not sure if I followed you. Are you on your workstation Mac creating the folder on the local drive (say the desktop) then copying to the server? If so this could be the problem. But if you are just creating the new folder directly on the shared volume then it should not.

Did you create the same user accounts on the server mac as you have on your workstation mac?

You may want to scrap the shared folder and try creating a new one and see if the problem persists.

Good luck, p

I basically use the same setup here. How do you connect to the 'server'? If you connect as a guest you won't get full access. You will have to connect with the account name of the server and enter the password. Then you should have full access... at least it works for me.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back