Differences in Postscript files from different OS

Keep getting told by "IT" that they can't deploy "Tiger" macs because Tiger can't see our "soon to be replaced" imagesetter still running on a G3 under OS 8.6.
Our Panther Macs can access the G3's spool folders on a daily basis with no issues whatsoever, since we simply drop postscript files into a hotfolder.
I'm under the impression that setting up a spool folder on one of our panther macs to automatically transfer the Tiger PS file to our really old G3 hotfolder could work.

Could anyone confirm this strategy?

or are there differences in the postscript created by the OS (Panther/Tiger/Leopard)? Is the postscript file dependant simply on the level of Postscript used to create it (2 or 3)?

thks guys

(wOoT..... CTP cw Apogee should be here by end of April)

Re: Differences in Postscript files from different OS

One reason IT people need to be cross trained or stay out of a Mac environment. I had an ECRM imagesetter here, running Script-works version 1.1 rip, off a PowerMac 8600 running OS7.6.1. All the workstations were running Tiger and I never had an issue.

if it can work on tiger, should work on panther..it should all be AFP sharing.

There's a couple possible problems. There is some fundamental change in the way username and password submissions happen between Panther and Tiger. I can't confirm OS 8.6 problems but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I know there's problems that come up on older Windows SFM shares where panther works just fine and Tiger doesn't. I'm also pretty sure a Tiger mac couldn't log into early Panther (pre-10.3.4 I think) shares. Not a solution but some evidence that not all Cats play with network shares the same. I am aware of earlier versions of the AFP getting a login request on TCP/IP and then replying with the challenge on Appletalk. This causes problems if the two machines are on separated router segments that can't route Appletalk packets.

Your relay strategy could work but it's a tough hack.

Although there's no difference in PS I can attribute to the OS I will tell you that there are some differences in the PS output from Illustrator after the 10/CS switch. I've seen a few older RIPS ( ApogeeX series 3 and Heidelberg) choke on PS from Illustrator CS and later. The job starts and images but then hangs and restarts. If you're not paying attention you can zap a roll of film. Output the same job from Illustrator 10 and it's fine. I'm thinking AI versions may be your impetus for going to Tiger?

I'm not concerned with file sharing at this point, right now we use a underutilized G5 as a local server before backing up our work to Appleserver then to our Novell network.
(Thats were alot of problems reside, but thats not my concern or issue). As long as I have 2 points of backup on Apple equipment I'll leave the incompatability issues with the main Novell servers to the IT Pros.

More concerned with copying a postscript file created with Tiger to Panther (10.3.9) to OS8.6.
Wondering if someone could send me a test .ps file from Quark 7.0, CS3 on Tiger.
BW or GS 1 page 8.5"x11" would be ideal
PPD is generic imagesetter or Agfa Accuset 1500 (attached).

[email protected]

If I can successfully drop a .ps file made in TIger to our imagesetter through a hot folder residing on a Panther G5 that would automaticaly move it to our Agfa spool folder I'd have enough ammo to advance my case,

I've seen 3 G5s sit undeployed for nearly 3 years because IT can't resolve the issue

I don't really have any experience with RIPS and such. But I know of
no reason that you couldn't drop the postscript files directly from
the Tiger Macs. The only thing I can even think of that might make
anyone think they couldn't is if Appletalk is turned off. I don't
remember previous to Tiger, but on Tiger and Leopard, Appletalk is
turned off by default. All one needs to do is go to the Network
Prefpane and turn it on.

David

> Keep getting told by "IT" that they can't deploy "Tiger" macs
> because Tiger can't see our "soon to be replaced" imagesetter still
> running on a G3 under OS 8.6.
> Our Panther Macs can access the G3's spool folders on a daily basis
> with no issues whatsoever, since we simply drop postscript files
> into a hotfolder.
> I'm under the impression that setting up a spool folder on one of
> our panther macs to automatically transfer the Tiger PS file to our
> really old G3 hotfolder could work.
>
> Could anyone confirm this strategy?
>
> or are there differences in the postscript created by the OS
> (Panther/Tiger/Leopard)? Is the postscript file dependant simply on
> the level of Postscript used to create it (2 or 3)?
>
> thks guys
>
> (wOoT..... CTP cw Apogee should be here by end of April)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back