need to share an old printer, OS 10.5 to OS 10.8

wonderings

I have to update a computer this week to Mountain Lion. Currently the computer in question (Mac Mini) is running Snow Leopard. We have an old Xerox DocuColor 12, that is not compatible with Lion or above. So this Snow Leopard machine shares that with everyone, and it works fine that way. Now needing to update this Mac Mini, I will lose the Doc12 printing capabilities, which we want for when our main machine is in use and tied up for long periods of time (print shop). I have an old Dual 1.25 G4 running 10.5.8, its my old work machine, and has the printer installed still. I set the printer to share, no problem. I go to my RMBP running Mountain Lion and select the shared printer, but instead of it adding the printer I get this message:

ScreenShot2012-10-17at25106PM-1.png

Sharing is no problem, of the same printer, coming from the Mac Mini. Anyone have an idea to whats going on here, and what I can do to share this printer from the old G4 to new macs running ML? The sharing works fine from the G4 to a machine running Lion, but no such luck when trying the same in Mountain Lion.

I am also open to suggestions for printer sharing software, on the cheap side, just need to be able to print to the 12 for a little while longer till we get rid of it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back