OSX Disk Defragmentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSX Disk Defragmentation

Refresh my memory, does/should one defragment a xServe RAID (768gb & 2.2TB)??? If yes, what do you use?

Re: OSX Disk Defragmentation

Nope. The data is "fragmented" across the various discs. Totally un-necessary on RAID 3,5, or 6 volumes. Stripes, mirrors and mirrored stripes "possibly". But again not really necessary. Single disc volumes, yes it's helpful. RAID's, don't bother.
    Matt Beals
    The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Comment

Thanks. So what do you use on single disks? I thought at some time I read that HFS+ formatted disks do not need to be defragmented? True?

Comment

I use a product called iDefrag. Its pretty easy to use but if you want to fully defrag your startup disk, you will need to boot off of a different volume.

-Ian

Comment

Any disk (single drive as said before) requires defrag once in a while depending on usage, regardless of its system file / format.
          HFS+ uses some adaptive algorithms to dinamically group together the most recent used bits of data in the catalog b-tree and extents, but in most cases defrag is beneficial if the disk has been used heavily.
          I use IDefrag as well (bootable DVD) to carry out maintenance when required.

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
          UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5697 users online. 150 members and 5547 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
          X