Screen Saver Lockup-MAC

Tolivas

I'm having issues with a screen saver on my MAC(power pc G4).

Some time ago I upgraded to leopard and started playing around the screen saver options.

When I choose the RSS (Random Screen Saver) option I got the SWIRL!

So now when the computer goes into the screen saver mode I get the SWIRL.

And now I can't even deactivate the screen saver because I get the SWIRL at the preferences pop up window.

Has anybody encountered this? Will reinstalling Leopard fix the problem?

Re: Screen Saver Lockup-MAC

> {quote:title=Tolivas wrote:}{quote}
> I'm having issues with a screen saver on my MAC(power pc G4).
>
> Some time ago I upgraded to leopard and started playing around the screen saver options.
>
> When I choose the RSS (Random Screen Saver) option I got the SWIRL!
>
> So now when the computer goes into the screen saver mode I get the SWIRL.
>
> And now I can't even deactivate the screen saver because I get the SWIRL at the preferences pop up window.
>
> Has anybody encountered this? Will reinstalling Leopard fix the problem?

Is this a 3rd party screensaver? I'm running Leopard and I don't have anything called SWIRL. I have a SWING and a TWIRL but no SWIRL.

Also RSS does not stand for (Random Screen Saver). RSS is a web feed, meaning the screen saver uses information downloaded from the web.

So what exactly do you mean you can't deactivate it? From System Preferences | Desktop & Screensavers you can't just click on another screensaver to use? If that is the case then no, I have never encountered this.

Harumph! It's just like when you have a massive Illustrator document attached to an e-mail in Apple Mail. It won't do anything else until it's rendered the thing!!

Ouch! RSS news feeds as your screen saver. How depressing. Assuming it's that feature you're refering to and not just that you were abbreviating the Use Random Screen Saver checkbox. Though, random could end up on RSS visualizer. Mind boggling really.

I'd imagine that if RSS feeds are blocked at your firewall or for some other reason you can't get them your system might lock. Every new Mac OS is more and more tenacious about retrying internet connections. They just can't believe every machine can't get everything all the time at FIOS speeds. When you open the preference pane it tries to preview the saver. I can see where that would lock as well. Only two suggestions, go into you /users/whomeveryouare/Library/Preferences folder and delete the com.apple.desktop.plist, there may be another for screen savers but I don't see it. Other thing might be to just open the preference when you're headed home and let it sit overnight. It may give up after some timeout period that's just to long for sane people. There's a few preferences in the "ByHost" section of the above preferences folder with "com.apple.screensaver..." in the name. You could try bagging those as well. It's always been an Apple convention that missing preferences just get reset to defaults on the fly so it SHOULD be safe. I think that's what Custer said. Deleting files from the libraries does carry a certain caviat though.

No, its not a 3rd party screen saver it comes with Leopard. Sorry, by SWIRL I mean the "spinning beach ball".

I get the "spinning beach ball" at the System Preferences>Desktop & Screen Saver>Screen Saver.

Set to start in 30 mins and when it goes to the Screen saver in 30 I have a blank screen and again the spinning ball.

I also get the ball at HD>System>Library>Screen Saver (folder)

When I was playing with it I had chosen the RSS visualizer. I've been reading other forums and I thought RSS stood for Random Screen Saver. So I don't know how the RSS web fed works. Or if that is what is causing it.

I'm downloading an update from apple to see if that works.

So, any ideas would be greatly be appreciated!

Thanks.

Great. I've deleted "the com.apple.desktop.plist".

I gonna try to leave it in the Preference window overnight to see what happens.

In the morning I'll try deleting the other file.

Thanks neotrg.

Edited by: Tony Olivas on May 14, 2008 5:16 PM

GOT IT FIXED!!!!

OK. This is what I did.

I left my computer on overnight at the System Preference>Desktop & Screen Saver window open.

That did not work because it went to the Screen Saver in 30min. and got the "beach ball of hell" to try and wake up.

So, went into users(my name)>Library>Preferences>ByHost> Then proceeded to delete all "com.apple.screensaver.XXXX(where X was name of ScreenSaver).

Restarted and viola!! Now I have access to my Desktop & Screen Saver window without getting the "beach ball of hell".

Somehow the Screen Saver RSS Visualizer does not like to play nice. I'm also staying clear of the setting under Pictures>.Mac and RSS.

Thanks Again neotrg. :)

Edited by: Tony Olivas on May 15, 2008 10:01 AM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back