iMac 5k anyone?

wonderings

Getting ready to upgrade my Mac and am looking at the new iMac 5k. Just wondering if anyone else has jumped in need why your review is and what specs you went with.

Got one a week ago, got the 1 TB fusion drive, I7 chip, and filled it up with Kensington memory . . . screen is amazing . . . the OS . . . well . . . I'lll put it this way, I have an appt at the Apple Genius Bar on Tuesday - I guess I will see how smart those guys are - so I won't say anything bad . . . . yet . . .

Got one a week ago, got the 1 TB fusion drive, I7 chip, and filled it up with Kensington memory . . . screen is amazing . . . the OS . . . well . . . I'lll put it this way, I have an appt at the Apple Genius Bar on Tuesday - I guess I will see how smart those guys are - so I won't say anything bad . . . . yet . . .

Why gpu did you go with? And what is the problem you are having?

I just ordered a 5K machine today. Looks like 1 to 2 weeks before it comes in.
4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
1TB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

I will add 16 gigs of ram to bring it up to 24 to start and then eventually to 32 gigs. A lot cheaper doing it yourself then what Apple charges.

thats what i got but the better graphics card and went to 32 upon arrival . .. will be talking to the "Geniuses" it will be interesting to hear what they have to say to my ?s . . .

There is a better graphics card? I only had two options when building my iMac, the AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5
and the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR. I went with the better one from the options I had.

My baddd i went from memory ( which is not that good anymore) I thought it was a choice of a 4 or an 8 . . . .gb . . . and a terrabyte fusion drive . . . really good screen, really quick, really frustrating figuring out an os that been out a couple three weeks . .. well - I'm off to the apple bar (might stop at that other bar on the way home) :)

My baddd i went from memory ( which is not that good anymore) I thought it was a choice of a 4 or an 8 . . . .gb . . . and a terrabyte fusion drive . . . really good screen, really quick, really frustrating figuring out an os that been out a couple three weeks . .. well - I'm off to the apple bar (might stop at that other bar on the way home) :)

Are you new to Apple computers? Yosemite is not that much different then Mavericks. I can see maybe it being confusing if you had not used OS X before, or if you were using an ancient version of the OS.

I helped a client of mine set up a new iMac 5K last night. She LOADED it with a 3TB HD and 32GB of RAM.
I spent about 3 hours in front of it.
It is a cool machine. BUT... at the distances that most people sit away from the display, I do not see a compelling reason to lay out the extra cash for the hi-res display.

22 years new . . .

22 years new . . .

Are you new to Apple computers? Yosemite is not that much different then Mavericks. I can see maybe it being confusing if you had not used OS X before, or if you were using an ancient version of the OS.

new since 1992 . . . last os was 10.6 - not all that confusing but they hide the user library . . . haven't figured out how to migrate my mail ethernet keeps losing connectivity after going to sleep, hooking up a vga monitor as a second without screwing up netflix, adding a windows shared printer, adding a specific pdf print driver among other questions.

new since 1992 . . . last os was 10.6 - not all that confusing but they hide the user library . . . haven't figured out how to migrate my mail ethernet keeps losing connectivity after going to sleep, hooking up a vga monitor as a second without screwing up netflix, adding a windows shared printer, adding a specific pdf print driver among other questions.

A fair bit has changed since 10.6 The issue with the library folder being hidden happened a few version back. It is very simple fix:
Show User Library Directory in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion & 10.8 Mountain Lion | OSXDaily

Moving your mail should be very simple as well, just follow these instructions:
How to Move Your Email to Another Mac | Macinstruct

No idea about the netflix stuff, I have not used dual displays since 10.6.

The windows shared printer should show up automatically when you go to setup a new printer, but I know that can be tricky at times. Well good luck with all the little things, should be no problem for them to get you up and running.

Got time to get back into it this pm . . . made a new user - mail xfered like it should - haven't addressed the multi monitor issue but haven't used a single monitor for five years now and three screens for the last 2 or so years . . I like real estate . . . the "shared printer" just don't show up . . cant find it via ip since its shared . .. all the big stuff is going to work its the little fine tuning stuff that makes me nuts . . . I guess I'm just an old dog and take to new things as easily . . . :)

Received my iMac 5K 2 days ago. Love the screen. The performance, well it is not what I was expecting. Anyone finding Acrobat and Indesign run super slow? This is a maxed out iMac 5K, i7 4ghz, 24 gigs of ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 gigs gpu. Spec wise this should be more then double the speed of my Retina MacBook Pro, but the Retina MacBook Pro seems better with PDFS and Indesign.

Is this an Adobe issue, an Apple issue? Hardware? Could an OS update see improvements?

Received my iMac 5K 2 days ago. Love the screen. The performance, well it is not what I was expecting. Anyone finding Acrobat and Indesign run super slow? This is a maxed out iMac 5K, i7 4ghz, 24 gigs of ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 gigs gpu. Spec wise this should be more then double the speed of my Retina MacBook Pro, but the Retina MacBook Pro seems better with PDFS and Indesign.

Is this an Adobe issue, an Apple issue? Hardware? Could an OS update see improvements?

I'd be interested to hear any responses to this since I too am getting ready to replace some 2007 Mac Pro's with an iMac's. I don't want anything less than an I7 core but I'm still want to make sure I'll be ok since we have some accounts that just love transparency. Opinions?

Just put mine into the primary production spot . . . seems to run a lot quicker than what I had (but that was a 2007 Tower so it should) so far I like it - some personal problems adjusting to yosemite . . . but I will get over that . . .

I'd be interested to hear any responses to this since I too am getting ready to replace some 2007 Mac Pro's with an iMac's. I don't want anything less than an I7 core but I'm still want to make sure I'll be ok since we have some accounts that just love transparency. Opinions?

Turns out my iMac 5k was having issues and has been returned to Apple. I am waiting on a new one now, will probably take a couple weeks because of the custom config.

Going back to a 1080p screen is probably the hardest part, the 5K screen is simply incredible! I thought I was going crazy with the performance of the 5k iMac, thought it was maybe in my head and that I was just expecting to much. I have a 27" iMac i5 a few years older that was running laps around this computer handling indesign files and pdfs, and the 5K iMac had a flash drive whereas the i5 iMac was running the spinning hard drive. Anyways, Apple was great to deal with, hassle free, tried a few things to resolve the issue, but in the end they recommended I return it for a replacement.

Sounds like from dabob and wonderings I'll have plenty of power from the iMac. Especially coming from the old Mac Pro's.

Sounds like from dabob and wonderings I'll have plenty of power from the iMac. Especially coming from the old Mac Pro's.

You should have a lot of power. the 5k iMac has gotten some great reviews and in some processes is as good as a new current Mac Pro. All that power and a 5k screen, I think the price is pretty good, especially considering the price of a 4k or 5k monitor on its own.

I received my replacement iMac 5K over Christmas while I was away in Germany. Started installing the Adobe CC apps and found I am having the same issues as I had before. Pretty frustrating. Is anyone with the updated graphics card (AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5) able to do a test to see if it is just me? When I go into Mission Control, I get this graphic glitch in Indesign:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back