iMac 5k anyone?

Mine works fine . . . driving two additional monitors and no glitches . . .

You have the upgrade graphics card? Trying to narrow it down, if it is indeed a problem with Adobe and the new iMac 5k gpu I will just get a refund and look at something else. Everything I have seen says it is a problem with the iMac, but it just seems almost unbelievable that I would get 2 iMacs 5K with the exact same issues.

Yeah . .. retina 4 gig I7 processor, 32 gig of ram, and the R9 M295X 4096 MB video card I opened a 30 page ID 2014 file just now and what is on the ID pages shows up . . .

Going on to my 3rd iMac 5K. They are sending me another replacement. If this one is a dud I will be returning for a full refund and look at some other options for upgrading. Have to say, this is the most frustrating experience I have ever had with Apple.

Now that I have been at this a while on my iMac Retina - one of the complaints that I have is, the guide lines, type cursor, and general pallet information type sizes seem to be smaller and harder for my old eyes to see them from across the desk . . . other than that it pretty much rocks my world!!!!

My 2nd replacement iMac 5K (3rd in total) will be here tomorrow. If this was is a dud I am returning for a refund. A very frustrating experience with support, went through 3 advisors getting nothing done. Two days ago I decided to send an email to Tim Cook, yes the head honcho at Apple. I did not think anything would come of it, but I had no idea what else to do as the advisor I had been dealing with would not return my calls in almost a weeks time.

I sent a polite complain letter listing my problem and my frustrations. Well, the next day I get a call at work, I am told it is someone from Apple. I thought this was strange, Apple does not have my number at work and it is not associated with my account whatsoever. Turns out Tim Cook read the email and forwarded it to someone who could actually help me. Well the next day I had a tracking number for replacement machine. I had been trying to get this for almost 3 weeks. Needless to say I was shocked that the email was read and responded to quickly.

It helps when you let them know that they are not doing a good job . .. and especially nice when the HMFWIC takes a personal interest . . . way to go!!!

dabob, what did you upgrade from when moving to the iMac 5K?

I am on my 3rd iMac 5k replacement and the performance is equal or less then my old rMBP. I can see the iMac seeming better if I had been coming from an older computer. I am returning mine for a refund, the performance difference with indesign and illustrator is zero if not worse. I think it might be a problem with Adobe not utilizing the gpu correctly, that is the only thing I can think of. I have had the exact same glitch and performance with 3 iMac 5k's so replacing it will not help, it must be software with adobe and the iMac.

A 2007 Mac Pro . . .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-01-26 08.20.33.pdf
    36.6 KB · Views: 301
A 2007 Mac Pro . . .

That is probably why it feels like a big improvement. It should get much better when Adobe fixes illustrator and indesign. Some massive discussions on adobes forum about illustrator, which is virtually unusable in my opinion.

i've had the 5k for a few months now, it's great. the screen is beautiful if overkill. it runs well, really smooth. running windows 10 from an external drive bootcamp style, which also runs and looks amazing on it. any issues i have with Adobe seem to stem from Adobe it's self and it's ever increasing bugginess.

i've had the 5k for a few months now, it's great. the screen is beautiful if overkill. it runs well, really smooth. running windows 10 from an external drive bootcamp style, which also runs and looks amazing on it. any issues i have with Adobe seem to stem from Adobe it's self and it's ever increasing bugginess.

I have to agree about the Adobe bugginess, with the processor and gpu I have in this iMac, I was expecting Indesign to be A LOT faster, it seems to be only a marginally improvement over my old Retina MacBook Pro. I would give second thought to buying another one and would probably look at a Mac Pro. A shame Apple really does not have a whole lot of choice in their lineup. MacBook Pros are to limited in spec, so it is the iMac or MacPro. I do Love the screen, I can't imagine going to anything less then UHD now after using this 5k iMac for 11 months.

i think the new 4k imacs coming out will be good machines, probably more suitable for print/design as i dont think i'll ever take advantage of the 5k screen. Which ever machine you go for, just fill it full of Ram and it should work fine.

i think the new 4k imacs coming out will be good machines, probably more suitable for print/design as i dont think i'll ever take advantage of the 5k screen. Which ever machine you go for, just fill it full of Ram and it should work fine.

I can't imagine working on a 21" screen, maybe I have just been spoiled by using a 27" screen for so long. Once you start working on a UHD screen you can never go back. Everything is so crisp and sharp. Everything else looks like ancient old tech on a CRT screen.

I can't imagine working on a 21" screen, maybe I have just been spoiled by using a 27" screen for so long. Once you start working on a UHD screen you can never go back. Everything is so crisp and sharp. Everything else looks like ancient old tech on a CRT screen.

Yeah, running 3x 27" screens can spoil you pretty fast. At work and home haha.

cE7VR8D.jpg

0izGVcX.jpg

i do miss having a second screen! no room with the 5k now, once they get the split screen app thing sorted (adobe is shocking at compatibility) it will ease the loss.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back