Standard Finishing
Xerox4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many years do you hold onto customer print files?

Collapse
Canon
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a data hoarder - I have files dating back to the 90s and have had to go find some of them - one time we had a customer that used us for film and proofs only and they did a lot of work with us . . . then they up and moved to southern california without a hi by or thank you ma'am . . . funny thing is about 8 or 9 months later we got a call from them . . . their server had crashed and they had no backup for any of their graphic files and did we have any of them? We did not have an archiving agreement with them so we scratched our heads and looked back and found about 15 cds worth of files - we offered to sell them to them for as I recall 8,000 bucks. They were astounded at our audacity so we said think about it and give us a call they looked at the file list and then the cost of recreating them . . . then they called us back and asked how soon could we get them to them . . . so in our opinion it always pays to archive files. . .
    "If you think you are too small to be effective
    you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

Originally posted by Questor View Post
      If a company chooses to store client data files on the Internet through cloud services, they risk losing control and access to the data they need.
      I suppose the same thing can be said about the money in your bank. I work for a vendor, but really do not personally have some dog in the fight, but hey, what the heck, I will play along and play devils advocate.

Cloud storage of client files can be dangerous..
      Dangerous ? What could possibly be *more* dangerous than housing your customers data locally ? I mean, earthquake, fire, theft - you could lose everything in hours. Where is the automatic mirroring ?

I understand that you work for a vendor that tries to sell these cloud services to print shops, but why do you think a print shop should give up control and access to their client files to be maintained by a 3rd party cloud services company?
      We don't *try to sell" - we have been successfully marketing our subscription service for many years. We have over 100 customers, some of which have been using PressWise for a very long time.

your question - "why do you think a print shop should give up control and access to their client files to be maintained by a 3rd party cloud services company."

Because we do a much better job at it.

Are you more secure or reliable than Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Rackspace DevOps or InnoScale Cloud Servers ?

Probably not. And, if your company goes belly up, that data can be restored to your customers if need be.

Having said all that, when I worked for a rotogravure printer, our customers decided that they would archive important catalog assets in their data centers. I think JC Penney used Auspec ( Unix ) servers as early as 1994 for such things. Most print service providers are not IT driven ( some are of course, like Widen Enterprises )

So, thats my retort.

Have a spiffy day !
      Michael Jahn - Slightly used PDF Evangelist
      Simi Valley California

Comment

I still have archived files on CD's from 1998. Before that we used a Syquest drive to archive but those tapes got lost in a flood. After that we started burning CD's. Then when DVD's came out we stared burning those, I have years of them. Now I archive to a firewire drive and I also have a partition of the main drive on my workstation where I keep files from the lat few years. We are a small company without much work anymore so tis works for us. BTW I had to dig out a file from 2003 yesterday for a re plate, so we do occasionally need these but not often.

Comment

We are a small shop so we keep them indefinitely. We currently have a 10 drive RAID setup with around 36TB of storage. Space never seems to be an issue. I would think that with the cheap cost of storage space you could keep files forever.

We still have racks full of floppies, SyQuest, Zip, Jaz, and DVD-RAM discs from the old days. We started using Quark back around 1990, when we bought our first Linotronic.
          Last edited by kdw75; 02-04-2015, 10:27 PM.

Comment

After reading all these replies, I had a vision and saw the future where people will say things like, "Remember those hard drives? I got a bunch of them with petabytes of data lying around!"

Comment

Maybe there are simple ways of doing this, but it seems more complicated and time consuming to find all the old files and trash them.

Comment

Being able to restore from any time in the past is wonderful, even if not needed except for one time in a year.

Memory is so inexpensive and the advantages of pulling up the past (when urgently needed) are so great. It is supremely foolish to think now as we did ten years ago.

The flip side of managing the information is a serious concern... you should be able to know which version of a file you're pulling up. (And you should also know which version you want to pull up.) That is more a "librarian" function... and it's important. That's why you want your prepress people to stay on forever.
                Last edited by davarino; 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davarino View Post
                  Being able to restore from any time in the past is wonderful, even if not needed except for one time in a year.

Memory is so inexpensive and the advantages of pulling up the past (when urgently needed) are so great. It is supremely foolish to think now as we did ten years ago.

The flip side of managing the information is a serious concern... you should be able to know which version of a file you're pulling up. (And you should also know which version you want to pull up.) That is more a "librarian" function... and it's important. That's why you want your prepress people to stay on forever.
                  Each unique job gets a specific number with its work docket. We have found this really simplifies things. No other job will have the same number so no confusion and it makes doing a quick OS search easy and effective.

Comment

KBAAvantiSmartsoft (Presswise)DuploXerox4OverCanon

Zero Setup Time

Collapse

Zero Setup Time:
                  Myth Or Reality?

As the twenty-first century opened, Koenig & Bauer had already anticipated the need for the coexistence of conventional and digital printing, and had begun to develop the technology that is today empowering offset printers to meet those challenges.

Read the Article.

Smartsoft (Presswise)AvantiKBAXerox " "DuploCanon4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9160 users online. 84 members and 9076 guests.

Most users ever online was 14,674 at 05:29 AM on 10-30-2019.

Working...
                  X