itunes radio

G_Town

Hope this isnt to off topic.

We use to listen to itunes radio until our IT guy noticed someone listening to it then the next day it was gone.

Question is what port does it use and how can you change it, I can stream thru quicktime fine so I got to believe there is a way around this terrible dilemma.

Thanks for you attention to this important matter.

Re: itunes radio

Look out, as an admin, I might sound harsh here.

Did you think to ask what the reason was for blocking this ?

Likely it uses so much bandwidth that it could cause a problem, possibly clients uploading / downloading files. It can be a problem here even when iTunes users share the music local on their systems. What is the business case to provide bandwidth for internet radio unless that is part of your benefit package ?

Yeah, I block all streaming audio here. If I don't, using a VPN to one of our clients is so slow it is unusable. At my company, clients pay the bills, so if something interferes with getting their work into our facility, yeah, I'm gonna block it.

Most of the time I have to block it after I ask nicely for the bandwidth usage to stop, because the usage doesn't stop when I ask nicely.

Chasd

They have been listening to itunes radio for several years (I'm a fairly new hire). It wasn't until the IT guy was talking to an operator about some football/baseball or whatever game, that he asked what he was listening to. The operator thinking that the IT guy was interested in the music naively told him what it was.

Next day BAM! gone. We only have one operator per shift so the usage would be minor.

At my previous job I let all 3 operators on days listen to itunes radio without any hit to our network ( I was the prep manager and the network admin for the dept).

I'm going to chalk up the "itunes bandwidth overusage" or IBO for short to something akin to the Loc Ness Monster or the Yetti.

I sound a little sour on IT? Well I have had some bad run ins with them in the past. My favorite was after we hired our first IT guy he moved all the cad files to his server and then removed access to the files for all shifts but first. Now had we been a one shift operation that would have been fine. The problem is we were running 24/7 with operators calling me at night saying they can't get the jobs done that are going on press because they can't access the cad files.

I brought this to the IT guys attention and he actually argued with me about this raising his voice and actually have a hissy fit stating and I quote: FINE WHY DON'T I OPEN UP OUR NETWORK TO THE ENTIRE INTERNET!

Anywho, I'm on a mission here this is no longer a desire to listen to some tunes, it's a quest. ;-)

Fight the Man G_town, don't let him hold you down!!

Our network is already pretty abysmal. so we bring in our iPods & throw 'em onto one of those docking deals. Thought about getting an XM or Sirius tuner, but that's a wad of cash to shell out.

I gave that a try it acted like it was going to work then nothing.

Perhaps this IT fellow is more clever than I gave him credit for?

Chances are your IT guy has stopped this at the firewall, which means there is nothing you can do about it unless you get the password to the firewall and reconfigure it. Firewalls can selectively block all sorts of traffic. Since streaming uses standard port 80, he hasn't blocked the port or you would have no website access either.

Another option may be to forget iTunes and instead try an embedded player. This is where my expertise drops off but RadioDestiny has a player you download that plays radio streams (.rdl I think) but, they also have a web-based one. I'm not even sure if they work differently, but it would be possible for the web-based player to take the feed from the radio broadcaster and transmit some other sort of feed to you that the IT guy hasn't blocked.

While I'm sure it seems like a last option, you might just have to go and talk to the guy if you really want your radio back.

Yep, I guess i am posting to say that as a stock holder in a company....

1. I don't care if you think that Streaming data (iTunes or otherwise) does not effect the network speed. It does.

2. Oh, and we don't trust Active X or Java or Javascript so turn that BACK OFF in your browser while you are at it

2. I don't care if you want to listen to the radio - bring one in, just don't gum up my network

3. If I catch you on this forum while we are on the clock, a letter will go in your file.

4. Get back to work.

<wink>

Yep, I guess i am posting to say that as a stock holder in a company....

*I own stock in my company as well, whats your point?*

1. I don't care if you think that Streaming data (iTunes or otherwise) does not effect the network speed. It does.

*Conversely, I don't care what you think either.*

2. Oh, and we don't trust Active X or Java or Javascript so turn that BACK OFF in your browser while you are at it

*Just turned it back on thanks for reminding me*

2. I don't care if you want to listen to the radio - bring one in, just don't gum up my network

*See reply to point #1*

3. If I catch you on this forum while we are on the clock, a letter will go in your file.

*Oh now I'm really scared I've got big brother watching me lighten up you'll live longer.*

4. Get back to work.

*You first Mr. Stock Holder*

<wink>

<*sticking out tounge>*

Well thanks to all that tried to help, I've resigned myself to the fact that it is a lost cause the MAN can't be beaten in this case. Well at least I gave it the old prepress try.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back