MS Windows Explorer Alternative

Stephen Marsh

I am looking for a replacement for the standard Windows Explorer, with one specific feature.

All I wish is to have a single window/view open and see ALL the contents of a parent folder – including all sub folders and files in all sub folders (just like on the Mac OS).

If this is a limitation of Windows, then I can understand why I have not been able to find this after looking at half a dozen different third party file explorers/browsers.

Screenshot attached for clarification of what I am looking for.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• photo4891.png
    photo4891.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 260
Thanks Joe, I have received a virus report on the installer .exe and will look into this with some other AV software etc.

Can you provide a screenshot showing how it browses a parent folder and shows all sub-folders and all files in all sub-folders in a single window?

Stephen Marsh

I found a portable version that does not have an installer and the portable .exe is not listed as having any trojans or viruses.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTAB...ble-Applications-Portable-UltraExplorer.shtml

However I can’t find a way to display the contents of a parent folder – including all sub folders and files in all sub folders (just like on the Mac OS screenshot previously attached).

Joe do you have any idea what settings I should use?

As I said, I researched half a dozen or so file browsers/explorers however I have not been able to find this specific feature.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
OK, I found the icon in Ultra Explorer that will show all of the contents of all child directories… however this is exactly the same as using the standard Windows Explorer and typing an asterix * into the search field of the parent directory.

Yes, one can view all contents, however I wish to be able to see what files are in what sub-folders, not everything “pulled apart”.

I am willing to accept that what I wish may not be possible in Windows OS… but please tell me that it is not so! :]

Stephen Marsh

ultra.png.jpg

asterix.png.jpg

Ultra Explorer’s “Column View” almost gets me there…but not quite. It does make viewing the sub folders a little easier but not as easy as on the Mac.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back