Dual Boot on El Capitan imac?

MJNC

Hey PrintPlanet Folk;
I am getting a new imac which runs El Capitan (OS 10.11). My current MacPro runs Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8).
I need to be able to “dual boot” on the new imac, so I can access the 10.6.8.

There is a TON of info out there about adding El Capitan on a separate drive or partition to an existing Mac & OS.
I need to add an existing OS (via partition, whatever, etc.) to a new El Capitan imac.

It may be the same process, but I can’t find anywhere to confirm that... Any help out there?
Thanks! And peace to the PrintPlanet.
_mjnc

You can't run OS X 10.6.8 on a new Mac. Keep the old Mac around if you need 10.6.8 that badly.

Without some serious voodoo, you won't be able to get a new mac to boot 10.6.8. Luckily for you there is a solution, we currently run an iMac with 10.11 on it and have loaded the 10.6.8 Server into Parallels. so far it works flawlessly. We are doing this to run EFI Printsmith because we don't want to pay their ransom to upgrade until we absolutely have to.

Hey!
Is it just that 10.6.8 is too old and perhaps you could do it with say 10.7 or 10.8?
I will read up on Parallels - thanks for the tip. We really just want to be able to use our 10.6.8 applications without having to upgrade them as they are being phased out of the workflow.

Thanks guys.
_mjnc

If the apps you want to continue running are PPC (PowerPC) apps then they will not run in any version of OS X after OS X 10.6.x. If you want to run a Mac OS X 10.6.8 in Parallels it has to be OS X 10.6.8 Server. To be legal at least it does. You might be able to get the regular OS X 10.6.8 run in a virtual environment but it isn't legal to do so. Only the Server version can be licensed to run in a VM.

I am currently running an Intel Xeon–based MacPro1,1.
Do you have any idea what the earliest OS you can do that dual boot/target disk with is?

It appears yours is a 2006 MacPro model.

According to Apple OS X 10.7 and above require at least a 2008 MacPro model but if you Google your model of MacPro there are hacks that have allowed people to install Yosemite (OS X 10.10.x) on it so in theory if you have two hard drives in it you can install OS X10.6.8 on one and Yosemite on the other and boot from either one.

Why not keep the MacBook Pro for those applications that need 10.6.8? Assuming it is all working fine as is, why create more headaches to get them to run on a new machine? Especially if they are being phased out. Keep the old machine to run the old apps, you can connect via your network and even share the screen and do all the work on your iMac while connecting to the MacBook Pro.

Why not keep the MacBook Pro for those applications that need 10.6.8? Assuming it is all working fine as is, why create more headaches to get them to run on a new machine? Especially if they are being phased out. Keep the old machine to run the old apps, you can connect via your network and even share the screen and do all the work on your iMac while connecting to the MacBook Pro.

Agreed but it isn't a Macbook Pro. It is a MacPro so space could be a factor.

Can I share the screen on the new (solid state) imac with another drive?
That’s pretty much what I’m after. We’d still need to keep the MacPro tower, but that’s ok if I can get at it from the imac.
In fact, I use an extra monitor and we were talking about just switching it off to the MacPro when needed. Boss would really rather get rid of the old tower; but if that’s the only real option, he’ll have to get over it.
He wanted to use the Immigration Assistant to put it all on the imac drive and just target-boot systems... Seems from what y’all are telling me that that is not possible.
Thoughts?
_mjnc

If you are running OS X 10.6.8 on the MacPro you can use Mac OS X Screen Sharing from your new iMac to see the screen on the MacPro. It works just like you are sitting at the Mac Pro.

Hello,

I have an old Mac book pro running 10.5 in the corner of my office. It automates my ftp uploads 24/7.

The free version of Team Viewer allows me to share the screen on my other Mac running El Capitan. I can do the same from home too. (possibly from my iPad but I've not tested that).

Hello,

I have an old Mac book pro running 10.5 in the corner of my office. It automates my ftp uploads 24/7.

The free version of Team Viewer allows me to share the screen on my other Mac running El Capitan. I can do the same from home too. (possibly from my iPad but I've not tested that).

Should be able to use the iPad. I've logged in to my fiery using team viewer on my iPhone to see how a job was progressing.

If you are running OS X 10.6.8 on the MacPro you can use Mac OS X Screen Sharing from your new iMac to see the screen on the MacPro. It works just like you are sitting at the Mac Pro.

I did that for years. My main machine used to be a white macbook... yah I know, not the best machine for the job bit it got it done. I had an old PowerMac G4 that I kept under my desk, it was running, just no keyboard or monitor plugged in. I could screen share it on the macbook when I needed something for it or to run something on it. Worked great.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back