Automatic link for mac on a windows server

Bobmorli

A bit of a tricky question:
Our prepress department is running on mac's apart from our server, that's a windows server in connection with our ERP software system. Every time a new article is created a folder is created on the windows server with the corresponding number. Actually 2 folders are created. One under Proof and one under Production. These 2 folders need to be linked to each other. Meaning: if I am in folder Proof/123456 and I want to go to Production/123456 ; I have to make a mac alias to that folder first so I can do this easily in the future.

Is there a script of way that this can automatically be done when the article is created and our ERP sends the signal to the server.
Note: it's needs to be a mac alias link and not a windows link

Hope someone can help me because I've been searching the net for a solution without any result so far.

Thanks!!!

Bob

Re: Automatic link for mac on a windows server

What process is creating the two folders on the Windows server? Is it a Mac connect to the Windows box via SMB or WebDAV? Or is the ERP system doing this automatically? Are you in a completely OS X environment for your Macs?

Re: Automatic link for mac on a windows server

The folders are made by a program on the windows server that is triggerd every 3 minutes. It looks at our database of our ERP system to see what articles have been made/changed. All these processes are without any mac runing them. The macs are only for the operators to work on. They look at the windows server to find the job files.

As a help I've added 2 screenshots of the same folder. One on a windows machine and one an the mac.

Thanks for the help!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back