The little MAC applications you just can't live without

What I miss most from OS 9 is the ability to highlight files and folders in a window, then copy and paste into a text editor to produce a list of the highlighted items from the OS window. That has never worked in any OS X.

Anybody know how to copy a window's contents as text?

Al

I just tried it by copying a folder of files, opened TextEdit and chose "Paste and Match Style" from the Edit menu. Worked well.

I also tried it with Microsoft Word, QuarkXPress 7, InDesign CS3.....all pasted the file names as text.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Last edited:
What I miss most from OS 9 is the ability to highlight files and folders in a window, then copy and paste into a text editor to produce a list of the highlighted items from the OS window. That has never worked in any OS X.

Anybody know how to copy a window's contents as text?

Al

Al, this still work in OS X if you are using the Apple TextEdit program and your open document is set as a plain text document (Under "Format" window change it using "Make Plain Text". Open your finder window, select all, copy, go to the plain text document in TextEdit and paste.

Oops....hopkinsprinting beat me to it.

Hey, thanks Jon and Joe. I didn't know that all this time since moving to OS X. Boy, the grief I've gone through for not being able to copy/paste lists of folder contents! Wow, just like the good old days.

Al

Last edited:
Nothing too exciting here just:
Neo Office
Cyberduck

There used to be a cool freeware app called Art Director's Toolkit, looks like it's no longer free.

Preview since it takes so much less time to open and less resources than, um, other PDF viewers.

I think you will find that Reader 9 launches FASTER and views PDFs FASTER than Preview.

I would be curious, however, to learn what you definition of "resources" is, in this context? Memory/RAM? Disk space? Other?

thanks,
Leonard

Butler: use abbreviations to launch apps, music, websites, etc.
Sizzlingkeys: Shortcuts for Itunes. This way you can keep your itunes hidden and can still pause, play, next or previous song, etc.
Vienna: separate RSS reader
Adium
Cyberduck

I'm still looking for a free FTP server to set up a local FTP server on Mac. Can someone help me with this?

Cheers,
Brain

Hi Brain

Try Pure FTPd Manager <http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/> for your free FTP server.

Its a Mac GUI on top of the open source Pure FTPd. It's robust, secure and easy to set up. I've been using it for a while with no problems.

Shawn

My core app set installed on all my Macs

My core app set installed on all my Macs

MacTracker
RsyncX
Carbon Copy Cloner
Script Debugger
UI Browser
OS X's Disk Utility
Apple Remote Desktop
Print Window
Font Finagler
Text Wrangler
Adium

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back