G5 can't use 1000bt network

G_Town

Our IT guy has monkey'd around with the network and now one of our G5's can't connect to the network unless we change the connection speed to 100bt, the IT guy insists that the mac only has a 100bt card in it and I'm telling him Mac's have been coming with built in gig networking since the late days of the G4's and that he must not have it plugged into the gig switch.

How can I prove to him the machine has gig capabilities (can't see anywhere in system profiler where it say what is in there only what it's currently at).

Thanks

Re: G5 can't use 1000bt network

Hop on Apple's web site and go to the support section and PowerMacs.
In the search, type G5 specs. Then look for the G5 that you have.
It will have what type of network interface the G5 has. Bellow is a
link to the original G5 spec page. Like I said the search will give
you access to any G5.

http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/Power_Mac_G5.html

Shawn Livingston
Prepress Dept
TruArt Color Graphics
2800 Highway 6 East
Iowa City, IA 52240
319-337-9623 ext 186

All G5s came with gig ethernet onboard, not on a card. That your IT guy says it only has a 100 +card+ tells me he's never once even looked inside the Mac.

It could be that some of the Networking settings on the G5 have gotten buggered. Go under System Preferences >Network and select Show:Built-In Ethernet. Then click on the Ethernet tab. That shows you the configuration for Ethernet speed. Usually, setting everything to Automatic does the trick, but you can certainly set the speed yourself.
There might be a duplexing issue, too.

And, as always, change the ethernet cable. You never know...

(note: the above instructions are for my G5 running 10.3.9. It might be a bit different for you)

Yea I know it has gig onboard but this knucklehead refuses to believe me, what I'm looking for is some type of utility that will show in B/W gigabit so he will admit its something he is doing.

I had the machine set manually for 1000 full duplex and after he messed with the switch (moved some machines around on it) it wouldn't connect, by changing it to 100 it would connect. Set to 1000 it doesn't even see that the cable is plugged in which leads me to believe hes got it plugged into the 100 switch.

Setting to auto btw gives me 100.

grrrrrr i miss the days when the prepress network was separate from everyone else.

Thanks for the replys

> Yea I know it has gig onboard but this knucklehead refuses to
> believe me, what I'm looking for is some type of utility that will
> show in B/W gigabit so he will admit its something he is doing.

Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info... button

Click Network in the left pane. In the right pane, scroll to the
bottom of the list. It will list:
Ethernet:
MAC Address: (removed)
Media Options: Full Duplex
Media Subtype: 1000baseT

> I had the machine set manually for 1000 full duplex and after he
> messed with the switch (moved some machines around on it) it
> wouldn't connect, by changing it to 100 it would connect. Set to
> 1000 it doesn't even see that the cable is plugged in which leads
> me to believe hes got it plugged into the 100 switch.

Keep in mind that you could have the cable plugged in to a 1000baseT
port on the switch, but if you're plugged in to a 100base hub under
your desk, that's all you'll get.

We have found lately that on many of our newer G5s and Mac Pros that
have 2 ethernet ports, the first port is much slower than the second
port.

David Wolfe

>
> Setting to auto btw gives me 100.
>
> grrrrrr i miss the days when the prepress network was separate from
> everyone else.

Yea I've checked that already it only gives you what your machine is currently running at not what it capable of (changed it back and forth to varify)

Nothing on this machine or it's immediate connection has changed and was running at 1000 before the "shell game" at the switch.

This is an older 1.8 machine with only one port.

I guess I'm going to poke around and try to find a utility that will give me the specs of a machine its run on

(that or make a late night visit to the switch room)

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You may want to download MacTracker and pull up the info for your model. It has all the specs of every Mac ever made.
http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

It lists your model as having 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet.

You could also try to open the Network Utility from the Utilities folder. Select the network interface under the info tab (on mine it's interface en0), but yours may vary depending on your network setup. At the bottom of the interface information it will tell you the vendor and type of card as well as the current link speed. Mine says "Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8055 Singleport Copper" which should be pretty conclusive, even for the most stubborn IT guy. If the model doesn't have "Gigabit" in the name then Google that model and you should be able to come up with some proof pretty quickly.

Good luck
Shawn

ifconfig in terminal will show you the supported interfaces.

supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

Look at the big brain on Brad (from pulp fiction)

That's exactly what I needed!

Now to rub our IT guys nose in it.

Thanks Brad!

Strike down upon him with vengeance!

I am the IT guy for the prepress department among other things. Is your IT guy like Nick Burns "Your company's computer guy". Move! You're welcome! It's an SNL skit... pretty funny. Check it out on youtube.

Yea, seen it.

Used to do it all the time to peeps in the dept when they were having issues.

Years ago, some network drivers for Windows did not properly auto negotiate port speed, so many Windows admins are in the habit of manually setting the port speed on the switch. If the switch is specifically set to 100 Mb/sec, no amount of jiggering on the client will get it to 1000 Mb/sec.

I still have to set switch ports manually for the NT 3.51 and NT 4 machines we have, and one XP machine that has a SiS network card.

Macs have liked auto-negotiation best for as long as I have used them with Ethernet ( back to the IIx ). Sounds to me like your admin hasn't done his / her homework.

To be fair, there are some switches that plain don't like some network chipsets. If the switch has be replaced with a different one, there may be a hardware compatibility issue. That's pretty rare though.

Chasd

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back