Leopard on an old G5?

Thorzdad

Anyone (beta testers? friends of beta testers?) have any idea how Leopard might run on an older 2x2 G5? I wouldn't mind upgrading once it hits the stores, but I've also heard vague rumblings that old G5 owners might actually see a performance hit, rather than an improvement, due to 10.5 being built more with the newer Intel hardware in-mind.

If, in fact, this might be true, I might run and get a copy of 10.4 before it's too late.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Leopard on an old G5?

I would not recommend upgrading to a new OS version unless you have verified compatibility with the applications you use. Most software vendors don't post compatibility information until they can obtain the final release of the OS and perform testing on that version. Testing on beta or pre-release versions of an OS is a good way to identify and fix compatibility issues, but for QA testing companies must use the final released version.

Even if things "worked fine" for someone using a pre-release build of 10.5, a small change made right before release might be bad for your personal configuration. Pre-release versions of any software typically have debug information built-in, so those early versions are not indicative of the performance of the final release.

It is prudent to wait for Adobe, Quark, or other software vendors to officially announce compatibility before purchasing or upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5, and to wait for other mad cap users to post information about the performance of the final release.

If you've been productive and profitable using your current OS version, there isn't a good business reason to upgrade before you are certain of compatibility or an increase in productivity.

Chasd.

Plus, Apple requires any beta testers to sign an NDA, so even if someone had the information you were looking for, it would break that NDA to post it here.

Chasd.

If you are happy with the way you G4 or G5 is running OS X 10.4 you will be happy with OS X 10.5.

It starts faster and runs smoother.

Neil Hexum

> {quote:[email protected] wrote:}{quote}
> If you are happy with the way you G4 or G5 is running OS X 10.4 you will be happy with OS X 10.5.
>
> It starts faster and runs smoother.
>
> Neil Hexum
Ah. Well. I'm still running 10.3.9.

No problem here so far. Leopard runs smooth on Intel White iMac 20" with all CS3 and Quark 7.3 installed.
All Adobe stuff is fine with L except Acrobat 8 and Video/Audio apps, which are NOT compatible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back