Leopard and CS3 and Quark and more...

wonderings

Hi all, just wondering how things are working for those who have installed Leopard. Any issues with CS3 or Quark? Printing or network issues?

thanks

Re: Leopard and CS3 and Quark and more...

Not installing Leopard on production machines any time soon, there are NO real worl dbenfits that I've seen so far to warrant the risk.

That being said, I'd love to hear tales from anybody who has taken the plunge! ;)

I wouldnt do it on the main machine. I always test new versions of the software we use on my machine first before installing it on my co-workers machine which is the main production computer. I think I am going to give it a go today when I have cleared a few jobs away.

One major issue is keeping me from upgrading and it's fonts. Seems the Helvetica dFont in system/library/fonts can no longer be replaced with a type 1 version. If you play with the preferences in Font Book that is turn off auto activation and the font warning you can remove the font but it still re-spawns as soon as you close the font folder. No way can I have two versions of helvetica active at once.

Here's a post I just sent to MacInTouch that should help with the boomeranging Helvetica problem:

There's a new font-related feature in Leopard that's probably excellent for consumers and business users, but might cause pro design/prepress people some problems:

In the past, pro font users tended to remove problematic system fonts such as Helvetica, because they tended to conflict with the users' own preferred fonts of the same name. These "required" system fonts were (and still are) stored in:

/System/Library/Fonts

In Tiger and earlier systems, you could delete such fonts by selecting, deleting, then authenticating as an admin. No problem (well, there were sometimes cache-related problems, but those were easily solved by adding back or enabling your own version of the deleted font, and before Tiger you probably had to clean the font cache as well).

In Leopard, however, if you delete a "required" font like Helvetica this way, it will delete fine, but then you'll see a dialog that says "The system font 'Helvetica' was removed. This font file is required by Mac OS X to display onscreen text. It has been restored." And shazam, the font miraculously reappears in /System/Library/Fonts.

So, NO WAY to get rid of such fonts? Not to worry, there's a solution:

Navigate in the Finder (or your favorite file manager substitute) to:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ProtectedFonts/

Here you'll see a copy of key fonts needed by the system. Delete the font from this directory first, THEN you can delete it from the /System/Library/Fonts folder.

You've essentially just broken Leopard's ability to repair itself as far as that particular font goes. But, in a pro publishing environment where your Helvetica is not the same as Apple's choice, that's something you sometimes have to do.

As far as I know, the major font managers have not yet been updated to deal with this change.

WARNING: don't try this at home if you're not sure what you're doing. This technique should only be used by experienced design/prepress users who simply MUST control their font destiny. If you remove Helvetica (for example) in this way, IMMEDIATELY replace it with the Helvetica of your choice PostScript, OpenType, TrueType -- but don't put it in the /System/Library/Fonts folder, instead put it in a higher-level place, like /Library/Fonts.

And in NO case should you ever remove the Lucida Grande, Keyboard, LastResort fonts.

Hope this helps others who battle with fonts daily.

Nice fix Chuck! I knew someone would find an answer for this annoying issue.
Thanks!

Chuck,

I'm keeping that post around for when I get Leopard in the house. Great post!

Have you seen any problems with running Quark 6.5 and Adobe CS2 with Rosetta in Tiger or Leopard (that's not been fixed with updates to the programs or OS), or running Quark 7.3 and Adobe CS3 native in Tiger or Leopard (that's not been fixed with updates to the programs or OS)?

I'm coming from a PPC G4 Dual 500 MHz and getting a Mac Pro. Just curious (and needing to know what to look out for in particular) about these programs and their problems (if any) on Tiger and Leopard on Intel Mac. I'll get Sheep Shaver if I have to.

Much thanks to you!

Don

After 2 days of 'testing' leopard on an intel mac, I went back to tiger.

The helvetica issue which Chuck solved now was one of the problems.

Another major problem was network and conections to windows servers. Once connected to servers, there was a 50% chance I couldn't see any items inside a folder; wasn't able to edit files and save them. Tried AFP / SMB / CIFS but nothing really gave a good way of working. Since I didn't find any good help on the net, I went back to Tiger on the production machine.
Meanwhile I've installed Leopard on another testing mac (G4 dual 1,42). First test also gave me network problems. So now IT is looking into the matter because at home I haven't come across any problems with the network (windows server 2003 and powerbook G4 with leopard).

Quark 7.3 seems to run nicely, haven't yet had any problems with that. Photoshop and Indesign run faster but Illustrator seems to go into a loop or something if I open more than 6 files. The CS2 does that without a problem. And Acrobat 8 is slow in general.

So no problems with Adobe or Quark on Intel Mac (e.g. Mac Pro) running Tiger? If those problems have gotten worked out, then I could at least run Tiger and run CS2 and CS3 and Quark 6.5 and Quark 7.3. I could then install VMware to run Windows stuff (and maybe Leopard too for testing), and install SheepShaver to run what I run in Classic now (OS9 and it's apps PageMaker, Preps, and maybe Quark 5). Just wanting to move to one machine and am willing to test it, just looking for heads up from anybody that's already done any of these to see potential problems and if any of them haven't been fixed with updates.

Don

Don,

I like the way you think.
I would love to try what you propose below. One box does ALL. That,
my friend, is a real SOLUTION. I also believe that it
is the best way to proceed. No more jumping around from computer to
computer, which is what we now do, as well.
The only way to get started is just like you said in your last email
to me; wait until after Macworld conference, get them to get the
latest box for your department and slowly work your way into loading
and testing the thing, but, at the same time, keep your old systems
on line to do the REAL work until such time that you are confident
that you can make all of the new stuff work to your satisfaction.
Hey, that's all the fun anyway. New stuff to try to keep the mind
sharp.
Not too bad.

cheers,

Bruce

Bruce,

This is an old thread, but wanted to say I've got everything working on my new Mac Pro 8-core (everything except Pagemaker, since I can't use Classic apps without installing SheepShaver).

My old Mac (finally) died, got a new one, and have been able to also retire multiple physical Windows machines, since they are now virtualized on my Mac. So I now have one Mac that runs it all basically (all except Pagemaker , and I also didn't virtualize the Windows machine hooked up to the platesetter physically), and one backup Mac. The backup Mac will be replaced by a new Mac Pro when it dies, and new machine will be loaded with Parallels, OS and Parallels fully updated, and be able to run the whole department virtually hopefully. Note: I haven't virtualized Mac OS X yet, and will need a Server version to do it, but I hope to virtualize my Mac production machine, so that all is virtiualized and can be backed up by backing up one file (like I do the Windows machines now).

Regards,

Don

Don,

I like the way you think.
I would love to try what you propose below. One box does ALL. That,
my friend, is a real SOLUTION. I also believe that it
is the best way to proceed. No more jumping around from computer to
computer, which is what we now do, as well.
The only way to get started is just like you said in your last email
to me; wait until after Macworld conference, get them to get the
latest box for your department and slowly work your way into loading
and testing the thing, but, at the same time, keep your old systems
on line to do the REAL work until such time that you are confident
that you can make all of the new stuff work to your satisfaction.
Hey, that's all the fun anyway. New stuff to try to keep the mind
sharp.
Not too bad.

cheers,

Bruce

I have found that, going to Leopard from Tiger, I cannot print to Xante 4G or our Konica Minolta machine. It seems that the new OS rewrote the PPDs into Unix files. I'm attempting to find a solution.

Going from Tiger to Leopard did provide some benefits but also some GRRRRR's. Most of the GRRRRR's were solvable though. CS3 - CS5 works fine (we discontinued CS2).

Here are some gotcha's that I remember...

1. Quark 6.x does not play well with Leopard. Open a Quark file, make some changes, save and close it. Now, double-click the file again to open it. Instead of it opening, it duplicates itself in the Finder. How's that for weird. The Step and Repeat dialog box doesn't display properly either but is useable.

2. Because I build my "master" on an external drive and then clone to my workstations, I named the external drive, "Master" (the computer name, not the name of the drive). After cloning, I simply changed the computer name in the Sharing system preference on the workstation but found that the new name didn't stick in the host configuration file which caused problems with my Apogee client. Manually editing the host config file in Terminal to reflect the new name fixed it.

I personally miss Tiger as I found it to be pretty stable. Leopard...eh. I have no plans to upgrade to Snow Leopard just yet and now we have Lion on the horizon...oh my!

BTW, I saw virtualization mentioned. For virtualizing your Windows OS's on a Mac, give VirtualBox a try: www.virtualbox.org. FREE, easy to use, and in my opinion, works pretty well!

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Last edited:
I'm going to see about getting our Macs back to Tiger. The CS4 software works with it, as does Quark 8. Plus, I'd think we could reinstall the appropriate printer drivers for our Xante and Konica. We need to be able to print to that Konica.

Hi semi-tech,

We have a Konica c65hc with a rip on its front end. We send PDF to it via hot folder. Can you use hot folder?

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Jon

Hi semi-tech,

We have a Konica c65hc with a rip on its front end. We send PDF to it via hot folder. Can you use hot folder?

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Jon

We print over a network to a folder on the Konica itself (a 1050), which is the way we were set up here. I'm not sure if the hot folder idea would work assuming it's possible to set it up, as this is the public sector and it takes interminable effort to get things sometimes and I don't have a lot of say in some things. It's a good thought, though. Maybe I should find out more about the setup, as I had nothing to do with the installation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back