Font is a 4 letter word

HiTech_Monkeyboy

OK, having trouble with a wintel mac. Using FontAgent (3.3.2) to manage fonts but sometimes with certain fonts it just quits, no error message, no nothing. Any ideas? I know it's broad but I've tried everything I can think of. Today's problem fonts appear to be the ITC Franklin Gothic Family. What are the odds that the file names are too long? The screen fonts are the ones causing the crash. Seems to be it, changed font name to testing font and it went in to FontAgent. Is this some sort of Mactel thing I haven't heard of yet or a bug in FontAgent.

Sorry for the stream of conscienscious post, still trying to work this out.

Monkey

Re: Font is a 4 letter word

I would suggest you run Font Doctor on every job set before you use your font manager.

We are continually amazed at poorly maintained client fonts. FD fixes hundreds of probs and pulld bad fonts aside into a folder so you have the opportunity to replace them with good ones.
Crashes may/will stop happening.
John W

Sorry John, sin of omission, Font Doctor was used.

Changing/shortening the font name appears to work or at least allows the fonts to be loaded. However, I don't feel I should have to do that for ANY job. The mini in this case is our "toe dip" into mactel machines, BTW.

Hi Monkey

Have you cleared your font caches? If a font cache is corrupt it could cause a crash when you load your Franklin Gothic, since Mac OS X loads the cached font whenever possible. When you change the name (depending on how you've done it) it could cause it to re-cache, fixing the problem. Try using a maintenance program to clean them out and see if it helps. My favorite for caches only is FontNuke <http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/>, but general purpose cleaning utilites like Yasu will also work <http://jimmitchell.org/projects/yasu/>.

What do you know, I just checked, Font Doctor also has a clean caches option as well.

Of course it's possible that the font is just hosed. Try using Font Doctor's move fonts feature to move all the screen fonts into a completely new empty suitcase and see it that helps.

Good Luck
Shawn

Edited by: Shawn Anderson on Nov 8, 2007 8:47 AM

Okay, so try running cocktail's pilot daily and see if the long names will work afterwards.
Are others complaining? Haven't read that many are.
If you're right, then I agree, it sucks to have to alter things.
Cheers,
John

Shawn,

Thanks for the suggestion, tried clearing caches and it's still the same. Actually removed ALL the library fonts and some of the system fonts and no change. We're running the latest version of FontAgent too. I've put in a request for tech support so I'll let everyone know what Insider Software support has to say. Haven't heard from them yet. Still lookng for a fix.. May just have to go to another font manager for that machine.

John,

Do you have a link for Pilot (or is it called Pilot Daily)? I did a search for Cocktail, pilot and pilot daily. Didn't get any software results but right now I'm torn between mixing drinks and getting my pilot's license.

Thanks,

Monkey

Just a quick update...

Heard from Insider Software, after the initial install the latest version of the software, we got down to the issue at hand. They have asked that I send the fonts to them for analysis. More details as they happen.

Monkey

Thanks John, I'll go get that later today.

As an update, it's been 1 week since I sent fonts to Insider Software so they could evaluate them. So far there has been no reply. Sent a reminder and another set of fonts that caused the same problem today. Only 3 hours on the second set without a reply. May be headed for Font Explorer, it doesn't have any issues with the font that crash FAP.

Have you tried to drop the fonts into the User's font folder to see if that works, bypassing a font manager altogether? Just stick the fonts (or a copy) into /Users/Username/Library/Fonts (I just make an alias on my desktop to use if I need it instead of my font manager, if the font manager is not getting the job done).

Don

OK guys, the final solution to this problem was to let the operator who was having so many problems switch with a more savvy user, who by the way, hasn't had any problems. I did try a couple of the fonts in question and had the same problem so it was a legitimate issue. Font Explorer worked fine with the problem fonts. The same fonts worked in the library fonts folder and in Font Book (uck). I honestly believe that it was more of a PICNIC error than anything else. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Monkey

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back